cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with library (.lvlib) icons in LV2012

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

Using LabVIEW 2012 Full version (32-bit) on Windows 7 (64-bit).

I create a project library (.lvlib) and add a bunch of VIs to it.
I create a banner library icon and apply the library icon to all VIs in the library.
I then edit the icons of all the VIs in the libray, adding extra layers, so that each VI icon has a layer called "NI_Library" (the banner library icon) and a bunch of other layers.
So far, so good.

I then edit the library icon, and apply the change to all icons in the library.
I open up the VIs in the library and find that all the extra layers that I added to each icon previously have been wiped out. All my hard work undone.
Now each VI has 3 layers: NI_Library, NI_IconNumber, and VI Icon, and none of my other layers.

I'm sure that this didn't happen in LabVIEW 2011. IN LabVIEW 2011, if I modified the libray icon and applied the change to all VIs in the library, only the "NI_Library" layer changed, all the other layers remained untouched.

Is this a known issue? Surely this can't be the way it is supposed to work? Or am I misunderstanding things?

Message 1 of 5
(2,483 Views)

If it's what I think is happening, the icons have not been wiped out - the library icon layer has merely become the top layer, hiding all of your unique layers.  This has happened to me before.

All you need to do is go in and move the library layer to the bottom.

I agree, this is not ideal.  Can someone from NI chime in about a possible CAR?

Chris
Certified LabVIEW Architect
Certified TestStand Architect
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,473 Views)

Hmm, no the layers have definitely disappeared, not hidden.

Everything works OK if I individually update each icon i.e. in the icon editor for each VI, select "Edit" >> "Import Icon from Owning Library".

But if I try to do a global update then all the extra icon layers of all the VIs in the library are wiped out.

I'll have to remember to update the VI icons individually from now on.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,469 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author MIG

This was a bug that was fixed in 2012SP1.  My apologies for the large incovenience.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,454 Views)

It was only a small inconvenience, but thanks very much for the fix.

Cheers.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,435 Views)