LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with Strict vs. Non-strict Type Def. cluster

I have a cluster of a few indicators, saved as a type def.  The problem is I want only some things to be defined by the Type Def, and I want access to properties of the individual controls.  Therefore I can't use Strict.  I want position, size, etc. from the type def., but colors of each instance different.  So my workaround when editing the typedef is: change it to Strict, Apply Changes, switch back to plain type def., and then Save.  Then manually go and change colors etc. on the instances, which got reset.  The other problem is that references to clusters get broken and so have to be created again.

So either there's a better way to do this, or we need a semi-strict Type Def. where you can just go thru checkboxes and choose exactly what you want the typedef. to be strict about.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,045 Views)

The whole purpose of a type-def is to make itself the same way every where it has an instance of itself. These specific instances can be disconnected (turn off auto-update), but that is the only link. It sounds like you're going to need to make multiple type-defs to use in each place. If you have a different appearance to each instance of the type-def then you probably don't want to use Strict.

Potentially, you could have a Type Def of your data, then put that in a cluster and make the new cluster a Strict Type Def to update the appearance. Then you could have different Strict Type Def depending on the colors.

Cheers

--------,       Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines                                           ,--------

'---   >The shortest distance between two nodes is a straight wire>   ---'

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,993 Views)

It's not really a workaround.  You're not working around a problem.  You're just using it in a way it's not meant to be used.  It's a lot like using a fork in place of a knife.  Sure, with enough effort you can get it to do what you want.  But, you're really doing it wrong.

If you want to change the appearance, you don't want a strict type def.  The regular type def will keep all of the data types the same, but let you modify the appearance.  If you're making as many changes as it sounds like you are, you're probably better off taking the time to put together property nodes to control the color process for you.  That way, you can change everything with a simple run button.  It's still not doing things in a way that really makes sense, but it's better than going through the program to "fix" things each time.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,948 Views)