LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with IMAQ vision builder

I have Labview6.1 and Imaq Vision Builder 6.0.
While opening Edge Detect.vi it shows error like. cant convert the version 6.0 to 6.1 coz it doesnt have a block diagram.

What went wrong ?
Cant Labview 6.1 work with 6.0 VIs ?
somebody plz help!
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(2,679 Views)
The block diagram is the source code for LV, but a VI can be compiled and saved without its code. The problem is that once you do this, you can't edit the VI anymore, only run it. You can open a VI written in an older version, but when you do, LV needs to recompile it for it to run. Because it doesn't have the code, it can't recompile, and so you get the error message. I don't know anything about IMAQ, but it sounds to me as if you will have to upgrade.

(2,672 Views)
Is upgrading the LV/VB the only solution ?? 😞
Why dont they make LV compatible with lower versions like other softwares ???
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(2,667 Views)
Since the toolkits (including IMAQ stuff) are built partly in LV, it HAS to recompile them for them to run. Since you say that a VI that's part of a toolkit has no block diagram, then no, you can't use it. You are not the first to complain about the problems in compatibility between different versions of LV. There are technical difficulties with this, and you will find opinions in both ways.
You've run into a unique situation because the VI was shipped without a block diagram. Anyway, it's possible that in all the legal mumbo-jumbo that came with IMAQ 6.0 you will find that you're only allowed to use it with LV 6.0 (I'm sure there are people here who know). I believe that the only practicle solution is upgrading (or, if it's legal, and if this is the only VI you're missing, have someone send you just that VI).

(2,665 Views)
I think i found some link on NI website for conversion of version 6.0 to 7.1.

Isnt there any tool to convert to 6.1 ??
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(2,661 Views)
LabVIEW vi's can be saved for the previous LabVIEW version by selecting File >> Save with options >> Save for previous . . . (this only works for going back ONE version)

So someone who is working in LabVIEW 6.1 will be able to convert a vi to be usable with LabVIEW 6.0.

This will work as long as the vi's are not any new feature added in that version.

A newer version of LabVIEW will automatically open any vi saved in a previous version - however, due to the number of feature additions, it is sometimes impossible to make newer vi's openable in older versions of LabVIEW.

I hope that helps clear things up a little!
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(2,650 Views)
nope these VIs are made for LV 6.0 n wat i hav is LV6.1.
n its not opening VIs of version 6.0
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(2,648 Views)
What version of IMAQ Vision do you have? If you have IMAQ Vision 6.0, it might be that you need the update patch 6.0.5. You can get it from www.ni.com/download or at this link.

The readme.txt says that the 6.0.3 patch "resolves version incompatibilities between IMAQ Vision, IMAQ Vision Builder, and NI-IMAQ". Hopefully this will resolve the incompatibility issue you are seeing.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(2,633 Views)