LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem installing 8.0 - my IE 6.0 Install not recognised

I am attempting to install LV 8.0 from a ZIP file received from NI.  It appears to contain the contents of a typical install disk, and behaves like a typical install.  But about 10 seconds into the main installation phase, it quits with the error "Microsoft Internet Explorer 4.0 or higher is required. ...".  I have IE 6.0..., and when I go to Microsoft, it tells me I already have a new version, so it won't install 6.0 again.

Is there a way to skip the IE check during install?

More info:
 Zip file name: LabVIEW 8 5-22-05.zip
 Sub-folder name: 20050922_0550
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 17
(3,381 Views)
Hello,

Did you attempt to install directly from the ZIP directory, or did you extract the files to a folder first?  If you did not extract the files first, try doing that (perhaps to a temporary folder on your desktop) first and then installing again.  If you did extract the files first, please attach a screenshot of the complete error message including as much identifiable information as possible from the installer window.

Thank you, and I look forward to your reply!

Best Regards,

JLS
Best,
JLS
Sixclear
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 17
(3,360 Views)
I unzipped the entire directory, and then ran the setup.exe.  I just unzipped it again to make sure no files were skipped somehow.  It is stil giving the same message, as visible in the attached image.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 17
(3,355 Views)
Hello,

That is interesting because I have version 6.0.2900.2180.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519 (I copied this from Help -> About... in IE).  Can you screenshot your Help -> About... popup from IE... it seems also to contain service pack information, and I will take this issue to R&D if I can reproduce it with the same version of IE.  If possible, can you try installing on another machine that has IE 6.0... the installation went smoothly on my machine (and many others here) apparently with a similar (or the same) version of IE.  Could it be a corrupt installation of IE on just that machine?

Either way, I look forward to your post, and exploring this further!

Best Regards,

JLS

Best,
JLS
Sixclear
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 17
(3,333 Views)
I hear from Erik that the following files are required by the installer.

comctl32.dll - InitCommonControlsEx

shlwapi.dll - PathIsUNC
oleacc.dll - CreateStdAccessibleObject

I found all of these files in C:\WINDOWS\system32

Attached is the about information on internet explorer - as a screenshot.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 17
(3,293 Views)
Hello,

Your screenshot verifies that we have the exact same IE 6 version (just for clarity, I attached a screenshot of my About box, where I only modified it by removing the Product ID for security purposes), which perhaps makes the solution a bit more subtle.  Now the task is to figure out what relevant object differs on your machine from mine.  The relevant objects we currently know about are the files which the installer looks for:

comctl32.dll
shlwapi.dll
oleacc.dll

But the noted entry points, respectively, are also important:

InitCommonControlsEx
PathIsUNC
CreateStdAccessibleObject

It is possible that although you have those dlls, perhaps the version of one or more is different from what I have, and doesn't contain the required entry point.  I have the following versions for those files respectively:

If you find those files under C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32 again, you can right-click on them to select "Properties" and then click the "Version" tab to get the version of each file.  If you can post the file versions here then we can compare.  If a file version is different, we'll have a potential solution in replacing it with the version I have.

Ok, I am sorry you are seeing this problem, and hope that we'll find the solution soon!

Best regards and I look forward to your repost!

JLS

Best,
JLS
Sixclear
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 17
(3,279 Views)
For comparision, I list our versions together along with the corresponding DLL:

DLL: Your Version    <->  My Version
comctl32.dll:   5.82.2900.2180  <->  6.0.2900.2180
shlwapi.dll:    6.0.2900.2781 <->  6.0.2900.2753
oleacc.dll :    4.2.5406.0 <-> 4.2.5406.0

So it looks like I'm about 18 builds behind on shlwapi.dll, but fine on all the rest.  It doesn't seem like that should be a problem... how can we verify?  Is there a way to look for the specific function expected to be in that file?

Josiah Yoder
P.S.  I'm now using the fresh "evaluation" install from this URL:
http://labview8.ni.com/evaluation/labview/pc/labview_80.exe

It behaves identically to my old install.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 17
(3,239 Views)
Hello,

I think one way to check would be to replace your version of the dll with mine, so I have attached my version here.  I had to rename it with a different extension so that I could attach it here (I chose .txt), so after you download it, rename it to have extension .dll.  In case this breaks other things on your machine, make sure to save a copy of your current version of the dll somewhere else so you can put it back if necessary.

Hopefully this works!

I look forward to your repost.

Best Regards,

JLS
Best,
JLS
Sixclear
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 17
(3,226 Views)
Thanks for the file.  Unfortunately, I cannot get it to stay long enough to attempt an install, since Windows is automatically replacing the file about every two to four seconds with the old version.  Do you have any idea how to stop this?
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 17
(3,215 Views)
Actually, after replacing (and backingup), and then rebooting, Windows seems to label the file as the correct version:

DLL: Your Version    <->  My Version
shlwapi.dll:    6.0.2900.2781 <->  6.0.2900.2781

The install still gives the same error.

This makes me want to just re-install IE, but when I tried to do that earlier, I was told I had a newer version, so it wouldn't do it.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 17
(3,216 Views)