From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem E7.3 (LabVIEW)

I've been trying to plot the ellipse with equation on Page 232 of Dr. Robert H. Bishop book but was unsuccessful. Anyone got a suggestion on this? Thanks in advance.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12
(9,657 Views)
Hi,

You can use the attached vi to plot an ellipse given its equation.

Regards,
Ankita A.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
Message 2 of 12
(9,659 Views)
Hi,

Thank you for responding to my problem. Actually the problem involve sin and cos function. I attached the problem here. Hope you could help. Thanks in advance.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 12
(9,661 Views)

I have the same problem.

Briefly, the E7.3 problem is about plotting an ellipse using the equation:

r^2= A^2*B^2/(A^2*sin^2(ф)+B^2cos^2(ф))

where r, A and B are inputs.

Anyone who can help, please?

thank you in advance 

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 12
(9,078 Views)
Message 5 of 12
(9,040 Views)

Daigon,

I don't speak Itialian, so I'm posting my answer here instead of in the other thread.

Here's how I would approach the problem:

1. Create an array of values for 'phi' ranging from 0 to 2*pi.  You can use a For loop to do this, and the number of points in the array should depend on how smooth you want your graph to be.
  2. With 'A' and 'B' as inputs, and the created 'phi' array as another input, calculate the value of 'R' from the equation provided.  I don't understand how 'R' is supposed to be an input.  Also, remember that you can use the math functions in LabVIEW in either scalars or arrays.  For example, you can multiply an array by a scalar with the 'Multiply' primitive.
  3. Create 'X' and 'Y' arrays from the values of 'R' and 'phi', then bundle the 'X' and 'Y' arrays together to plot with and XY Graph.
You should be able to do all of this with loops and simple math in LabVIEW.  You shouldn't need to use a formula node to do this.  Let me know if this helps.

Chris M 

Message 6 of 12
(9,018 Views)

Hi CMal

From your explanation, I am still unable to solve the problem.

Would you be kind enough to help me solve the problem as I am really stuck.

Thank you very much. 

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 12
(8,674 Views)
started a new thread here
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 12
(8,637 Views)

The cat,

Can you be more specific on which parts of my explanation you do not understand?  Are you having trouble creating a 1D array of 'phi' values, or is the problem with converting the 'R' values into 'x' and 'y' coordinates?  The more information you can give about what you have tried, the better.

Chris M

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 12
(8,618 Views)

Hi CMal

Yes I have trouble creating the 1D array of 'phi' values.

For the equation I have already done it with the fomula node

and plot it on a XY graph using the input A & B but the graph

is not an ellipse, instead it gives me a funny plot.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 12
(8,597 Views)