From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Printing Sharp Icon Image in From Front Panel Picture Control

Pixelelated (or Rough) Report Logo

My LabVIEW reporting application features a picture control sized to 150 pix x 50 pix meant to show a customers logo. I ask my customers to resize their logo to fit the 150 pix x 50 pix space and I read the logo file as-is and place it in the picture control.

The result is a pixelated logo on the report. Over the years many customers have reported the poor logo quality and wanted something done about it. But I had no solution to this until now.

Solution to get Sharp Logo

Later an associate staff member noticed that the logo looses resolution when resized to 150 pix to 50 pix and that the printout quality is compromised because of the lost resolution of the rendered image.

*** It follows that if we retain a large image file greater than 300 pix. E.g: The example shown uses a file resolution of 5,000pix  X 1,265 pix. and then scale that down programmatically in LabVIEW, the scaled image retains that resolution and the logo stays and appears sharp.

How This Works  in a LabVIEW Examples

The example attached shows how this works.

1. The first image is that of a large size logo for Pinterest that is scaled down programmatically in LabVIEW to fit the container size of the picture control.

2. The second image is one created from a Pinterest logo that was resized in windows Paint brush. That size is less than 300 pix.

Although both logos appear sharp on the front panel, the print-out shows that the logo that was scaled down programmatically is the sharpest one. This sharpness stays no matter how much the logo needs to be reduced from the original large size image.

We have found that this trick works best for .jpg or .jpeg image files.

From here on our customers have been very impressed with the sharp logo on their reports.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,588 Views)

* loses not "looses".  (Pet peeve of mine how often, and it seems more and more frequent, that people get that wrong.)

I don't see attachments for your second image or the example.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,578 Views)

... Editor Timed out

Here are the supporting files. LV14.00

Anthony

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,554 Views)

Example in LabVIEW 8.6

Courtesy and acknowledgement for sharing insight into this methodology is Immanuel Nwachukwu

Anthony

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,551 Views)