LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Preview (convert) Zebra ZPL output to image

I am creating a utility that allows our production floor the ability to adjust the printing of labels without getting into the actual code. This is easy enough to do (simply provide a way to adjust input parameters).

What would be really neat is if I could show them exactly what their changes do to the finished label (in real time) without them having to do a sample print. I am basically looking for a way to render the ZPL code into a viewable image so that they see on the screen what will be printed.

Anyone have any experience with this? I suppose I could create a full "compiler" of sorts that takes the ZPL code and converts it into an image (just like the actual printer does), but that seems like a LOT of effort. I'm hoping there's a utility out there that does something like this already.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 3
(12,331 Views)

First, I would try a general search, as there might be tools that do this through DLLs or .NET controls, etc.

Second, you could always print to an XPS or PDF file and show the result on screen. XPS Should be native in Windows 7. I'm not sure how practical this would be in terms of showing it in real time. Probably not so much.

Third, you could write a partial parser, which would only implement a subset of ZPL, but they will always want more and it still would be a lot of work.

Fourth, you can scrap the whole thing and just use a program like Bartender, which is exactly designed for this sort of thing. I believe Zebra also have their own label designer which can output ZPL. This is probably your best bet.

Labelary offers a RESTful API for generating images/PDFs of ZPL. You'll need to allow for an external network connection, and you're relying on their uptime rather than just your own, but you should be able to add a Web Service to your project that sends off your ZPL and then receives the image. Alternatively, you could embed a browser window to preview the label content.

There are a couple of other possibilities - if you're using a networked Zebra printer you should be able to preview through the web management system. Alternatively, you could try finding a third party piece of software and point it at a temporary file with your label settings.

Edit - link, doh:

http://labelary.com/

---
CLA
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(12,299 Views)