From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Preferred solution for logging data from shared variable to a database

Hi,

The scenario is: we have potentially several hundred of variables on SVE where their values need to be stored during operation. (the type mostly double but some array and boolean do xist also)

We can assume all the data is being updated on SVE, the task is to log and store them, without any additional (license) cost at run-time, for analyzing and plotting.

What are the options with labview?

Can you guide me through the options?

examples?

- LV --> DB connectivity --> sql express

- LV --> DSC --> sql (any license cost at run-time) ?

- LV --> TDMS ?

- LV --> TCP/IP --> MySql

anything else?

The development evironment is LV2014 Full professional with DSC module. (requirement no license shall eb needed in run-time (beside run time engine and avialable app like sql express, etc.)

Rgds,

Dave

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(2,856 Views)
First thing to realize is that for what you are wanting to do options 1, 2 and 4 are really the same option. Regardless of how you access a database you don't need to incur any additional license fee. Where is the database you are going to be accessing? Does it already exist? Option 3 really isn't an option because TDMS isn't a database.

You might want to check the posts I did on database access. Check the link in my signature.

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(2,831 Views)

@mikeporter wrote:
First thing to realize is that for what you are wanting to do options 1, 2 and 4 are really the same option. Regardless of how you access a database you don't need to incur any additional license fee. Where is the database you are going to be accessing? Does it already exist? Option 3 really isn't an option because TDMS isn't a database.

You might want to check the posts I did on database access. Check the link in my signature.

Mike...

Option 2 is going to require a runtime license fee.  The DSC has a pay per machine RTE.  That said, they don't need it and can avoid it.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(2,806 Views)
Yes, but the DSC doesn't allow you to access a database. With or without the DSC installed you access databases in the same way.

Mike...

LabVIEW Champion

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(2,796 Views)

Thx. the database does not exist and has to created. I think DSC is an option which require license fee, right (as natasftw mentioned).

Where in your website u have database related notes?

At the end any recommendation for option to choose?

Rgds,

Dave

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(2,776 Views)

More explanation: the logging vi and storing into database, reading, etc. have to be developed. Consider this in your recommendations.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(2,775 Views)
Check the link in my signature.

Mike...

LabVIEW Champion

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(2,753 Views)

I take it the reason for not wanting the DSC runtime is cost? Don't forget to factor your development time and costs into your different options - you may find your development costs quickly outweigh the price of the DSC runtime.

Unless otherwise stated, all code snippets and examples provided
by me are "as is", and are free to use and modify without attribution.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(2,727 Views)