LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Possible BUG w/ "Select a Vi" from block diagram's functional Palette

Solved!
Go to solution

I am using Labview 2015 on win7 (64bit).

I have followed Labview exericse 7-1 and created a Subvi.

Yet I ran into this possible bug while trying to place subVI inside a blank block diagram:Select the VI to Open

If I try to place a subvi using the Select a VI option on the Functional palette, after choosing the file and clicking OK,  nothing would happen. it would behave like you haven't selected anything to place with. Yet, to go around with this problem,I was able to place the same subvi by dragging the .vi file from computer's folder directly onto this blank block diagram, and that works!

Any idea why Select a VI to open tool won't do anything in this case? Sounds like a bug to me.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,248 Views)

When you have a Block Diagram open in front of you, and you right-click, Select a VI, and double-click a VI file, you should find the VI's icon "stuck" to your cursor, allowing you to place it wherever you want on the Block Diagram, releasing it by clicking once more.  Note the actions -- right-click to get menu, click to choose Select a VI, double-click to choose the VI, then click to place.

It has worked this way for at least a decade (probably more than two decades).

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(3,236 Views)

HI Bob,

I understand what you were saying, I did exactly like you've described ("When you have a Block Diagram open in front of you, and you right-click, Select a VI, and double-click a VI file") many times except that when I double-clicked a VI file, the cursor never change, so there is no Vi's icon "stuck" to it and thus I have nothing to place with, that's why I am thinking this could be a bug.   I was however able to palce the Vi by dragging the vi file from its windows folder where it's saved, that way the cursor would change to the VI's icon and I would able to place it into the block diagram, but just not by using "Select a VI" function...not sure why.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,151 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Luke18

Do you run TeamViewer?

If I have TeamViewer running (even if it is only running in the taskbar, not having an active connection) I get the exact same bug that you describe. I has been that way for a couple of years. I have tried it on numerous computers and it is easy to replicate.

I have to close Teamviewer when I am going to work with Labview.

I reported it to NI support but since I did not know if the problem had anything to do with Teamviewer or Labview I suppose they never looked into it. I also suppose that since it happens with Labview in combination with one specific other program it might happen with other programs as well.

Message 4 of 7
(3,145 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Luke18

@perhult wrote:

Do you run TeamViewer?

If I have TeamViewer running (even if it is only running in the taskbar, not having an active connection) I get the exact same bug that you describe. I has been that way for a couple of years. I have tried it on numerous computers and it is easy to replicate.

I have to close Teamviewer when I am going to work with Labview.

I reported it to NI support but since I did not know if the problem had anything to do with Teamviewer or Labview I suppose they never looked into it. I also suppose that since it happens with Labview in combination with one specific other program it might happen with other programs as well.

Yes, he is running TeamViewer - I can see that little <-> overlay on the title bar.  Yes, LabVIEW has issues with TeamViewer if you have the quick connect button enabled.  Disable it and he (and you) should be fine.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
Message 5 of 7
(3,131 Views)

Thank you billko, I was not aware it was the Quick Connect button that interfered with LabVIEW. Finally after several years this will save me some seconds and a bit of frustration every day! 😃

Message 6 of 7
(3,084 Views)

Glad to be of help.  🙂

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,053 Views)