LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Position, Velocity, Acceleration From Single Encoder, With TDMS Logging

I'm still a fairly new user when it comes to Labview.  I started to feel comfortable enough to check out TDMS data logging and I'm kicking myself for not using it earlier.

That said, I am currently reading angular position from an encoder, and estimating it's velocity and acceleration from the sampling rate & encoder resolution.  I'm using an FGV to do all the calculations and I've fine-tuned it to be as accurate as I would like.

What I would like to do is implement TDMS logging that records position, calculated velocity and acceleration with the Log and Read option of TDMS.  I'd like these to be synchronized with the encoder reads, and I would like them to be handled by a single DAQmx Read vi.  As far as I can see though, you can only read the position information from the encoder.  I tried to drill down into the DAQmx Read.vi to create a modified version so that I could eploit the TDMS logging, but the subvi uses a call library function vi that currently is beyond my abilities. 

I've been in MAX and I can't create any additional outputs for velocity and acceleration.  It seems like MAX takes enough information to create approximations from the sampling clock and resolution of the encoder.  Why doesn't it (or if it does, how do I implement it).

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,624 Views)

For clarification, I am using/ have access to Labview 8.6, 13, and 14.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,613 Views)

What hardware are you using for reading the encoder? I have recently completed a similar project where the encoder was connected to a counter that was triggered by the counter increasing, so that it would only read on new positions, this worked reasonably well and seems like it should work well for your case.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,604 Views)