LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Placing LabVIEW controls above .NET containers

Greetings All,

I wanted to place few .NET containers(loaded with controls) and few LabVIEW controls/decorations above the .NET controls. But I am not able to move(using move to front/move forward) the LabVIEW controls/decorations in front of .NET containers. Please suggest some way to do this.

Thanks in Advance,

Sree

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(4,613 Views)

Did you already try the 'bring to front' option on the LabVIEW controls?

2015-10-23_11-16-19.png

If that doesn't work, it might not be possible (perhaps the .NET controls go on a different 'layer').

LabVIEW Champion, CLA, CLED, CTD
(blog)
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(4,602 Views)

Yes Sam, I have already tried it.

Is there any way to change this behavior? 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(4,596 Views)

No, if that doesn't work, I don't think it's possible. (There's a similar thread here with no solution either: http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/Move-to-back-quot-iwebbrowser2-quot-Possible/td-p/1440874 )

It's a good idea to post over on the ideas exchange if it isn't already there, though!

(blog)
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(4,580 Views)

@Sam_Sharp wrote:

(perhaps the .NET controls go on a different 'layer').

Yes, it's actually a child window.

One thing which might work is placing the .NET container in a subpanel, but I'm pretty sure that also ends up simply being a child window of the calling VI and you get the same behavior.

It might be possible to make this work by setting your own VI as child windows, but you would have to do that at runtime and control transparency, etc. I would say it's not worth it.

It's generally a bad idea to overlay things on the front panel for performance reasons.  Just a heads up

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(4,520 Views)

What happens if you put a .NET container on a tab control? Does LabVIEW then show/hide the child window?

(blog)
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(4,450 Views)

Well OP crossposed over on reddit where he found his solution was to put a .Net container infront of a .Net container.

https://www.reddit.com/r/LabVIEW/comments/4oaene/nothing_can_be_in_front_of_a_net_container_well/

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(4,107 Views)

not sure about .NET containers, but for tab control you can place LabVIEW controls over the container just by:

• place the container elsewhere
  • placing the control at the desired location outside the container
  • move the container back and under the control

block diagram.png

not the most elegant but it worked for me for tab control
tab1 running.pngtab2 running.png

BTW, I used it for tabbed string indicator.

can anyone try it on the .NET container and tell if it works?

CY (expired CLAD)
Message 9 of 10
(3,867 Views)

@cyfoo wrote:

not sure about .NET containers, but for tab control you can place LabVIEW controls over the container just by:

Great suggestion.  I've used this technique with LabVIEW controls before plenty of times but was unsure how it would work in a tab control.  The result is still useful, but not for putting controls on top os a .Net control.

If you place a .Net control in a tab it behaves like you'd expect.  When you are on one tab the control is shown, when you are on the other it is hidden.  The odd bit if if you place a control on top of that tab.  Normally a control on top of a tab is on top of all control in that tab.  But in this case the .Net control is in the tab will appear on top of any control, even ones on top of the tab itself.

Another technique also fails and that is using a subpanel.  If you place a .Net control in a VI that is in a tab, and you put a control on top of the tab, which should be on top of the subpanel, which should be on top of the .Net control...but it also isn't.   

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(3,852 Views)