LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Physical memory of the PC get increased while using a VI but it didn't reduced when the same is closed.

Hi, I have faced a problem while reading a Comman Separated file(.CSV) using read spreadsheet function. Before reading the file, physical memory of the PC was 110MB. When i tried to read a file of size 200MB the physical memory of the PC increases to 2GB. After that I closed the VI but my physical memory doesn't  get reduced to the previous one, untill I restart my LabVIEW.

PC Configuration:

I3, 4GB RAM, Windows 7 64bit & LabVIEW 2014 64bit.

Anyone faced this issue kindly help me to solve it. Thanks in advance..!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,576 Views)

Hi guna,

LabVIEW uses it's own memory manager!

It will allocate memory from OS when it needs to - like when reading in a larger CSV file and converting the contained data.

And it will free the memory when it thinks it's a good idea/time to do so.

So what's your problem with having LabVIEW allocating some amount of memory?

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,567 Views)

Thanks GredW,

Actually reading the CSV file and populating the data is one part of my application. I used to read that data for my analysis. When I try to read two CSV files of same size(200MB), the physical memory goes upto 95% and my PC started hanging. Is there any alternate method to do this without PC hanging.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,511 Views)

Hi guna,

- avoid data copies

- don't process the files in memory

- read only parts of those files to process the data

- use a bigger PC 😄

- use software dedicated to data analysis like DIADEM

- there are even more possibilities - but you need to provide more information on your exact problem…

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,504 Views)