From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Performance of Property Nodes as class accessors

Solved!
Go to solution

LV2013

I vaguely remember reading somewhere that property nodes require a LV context switch, because they must be run on the UI thread.

<ul>

<li>Is that still true?

<li>Is that true even if the node does not pertain to a user control (e.g., an accessor for a private data field in a class) ?

<li>How much of a penalty is that? Anybody ever measured it?

<li>It's convenient to use a property node with 2+ terminals to access 2+ fields.  Is that convenience outweighed by the performance drop?

<li>Are there papers or other docs explaining all this?

</ul>

Thanks

Steve Bird
Culverson Software - Elegant software that is a pleasure to use.
Culverson.com

Blog for (mostly LabVIEW) programmers: Tips And Tricks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,135 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author CoastalMaineBird

@CoastalMaineBird wrote:

I vaguely remember reading somewhere that property nodes require a LV context switch, because they must be run on the UI thread.

This is only true of property nodes that run in the UI thread, such as ones that refer to the front-panel elements. Executing a LVOOP accessor through a property node is just syntactic sugar around a standard VI call, and doesn't force a thread switch. I seem to recall reading that there's a slight difference in that read accessors will always execute sequentially due to error handling, but I can't find that post in a quick search.

Message 2 of 3
(3,116 Views)

Thanks, nathand

So the rule is that UI property nodes must execute in the UI thread.

That makes more sense.

Steve Bird
Culverson Software - Elegant software that is a pleasure to use.
Culverson.com

Blog for (mostly LabVIEW) programmers: Tips And Tricks

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(3,108 Views)