LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Perforce greatly increases project load time

Hello,

I work with a large LabVIEW project routinely (>4000 VIs) using LV2103 that usually loaded in what I would estimate as less than a minute on my computer. We source control this project using Perforce. I recently configured LabVIEW to access my Perforce workspace from within the LabVIEW project using the Source Control tab in LabVIEW options. I absolutely love checking files out from LabVIEW and being prompted to add newly created files to source control, but now my project takes about 15 minutes to load instead of about a minute. Has anyone else noticed significantly increased load times when using Perforce in LabVIEW? Does anyone have any suggestions on how to reduce this load time?        

Best,

jppb

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,860 Views)

Hi jppb,

I have not used Perforce, but I noticed a significant delay after installing the Viewpoint Tortoise SVN toolkit. I have now uninstalled the toolkit and do my commits through the windows explorer.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,853 Views)

@jppb wrote:

Hello,

I work with a large LabVIEW project routinely (>4000 VIs) using LV2103 that usually loaded in what I would estimate as less than a minute on my computer. We source control this project using Perforce. I recently configured LabVIEW to access my Perforce workspace from within the LabVIEW project using the Source Control tab in LabVIEW options. I absolutely love checking files out from LabVIEW and being prompted to add newly created files to source control, but now my project takes about 15 minutes to load instead of about a minute. Has anyone else noticed significantly increased load times when using Perforce in LabVIEW? Does anyone have any suggestions on how to reduce this load time?        

Best,

jppb

Maybe the first thing it does is to connect to the repository and get the status of all the files.  Perhaps this is a convenience kind of option that you can turn off?

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,823 Views)

Hi billko,

Unfortunately, there doesn't appear to be any such options in the Source Control section of LabVIEW options, where everything else about Perforce was configured.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,751 Views)

@Gregory wrote:

Hi jppb,

I have not used Perforce, but I noticed a significant delay after installing the Viewpoint Tortoise SVN toolkit. I have now uninstalled the toolkit and do my commits through the windows explorer.

Yes, I've experienced the same with their toolkit.  For me, it's a fair tradeoff for stuff like integrated file rename which takes care of things on both the LabVIEW side AND the TSVN side.  Before it was a two step process where you would rename the file in the LabVIEW project/library and then have to repair the move in TSVN (if you wanted to keep the history of the renamed file).  This wasn't a problem if you only renamed one file, but if you happened to rename a couple of files with similar names, good luck remembering the old names.

To the OP:

Sorry I couldn't help you.  😞

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,741 Views)