From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Password for LabVIEW log file!!!

Solved!
Go to solution

Dear All

I am looking to the function to set and unset the password for my log file!

I can not find any function in LabVIEW file I/O !

Thanks and Regards

Luong.Tran

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,046 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Luong.Tran

There's no meaning to a password on a text file.  You could encrypt it with a password, but there's nothing native in LabVIEW that'll do it for you.  I found this on the Blowfish algorithm that might help you.

Jim
You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. ~ Alice
For he does not know what will happen; So who can tell him when it will occur? Eccl. 8:7

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,023 Views)
Solution

If you write the file as binary, understanding the data written is sorta difficult.  In my mind this is the first layer of protection because a normal user can't just open the file in a text editor.  Only your application can know how to read and display the data.  Other ideas involve using ActiveX or .NET calls to other applications like Word, Excel, or Acrobat to set a password on the file.  This is more challenging but more standard.  I've also seen developers make a zip archive and set a password on the archive.  OpenG zip utility supports this, and so does the command line 7-zip.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,002 Views)
Solution

I would recommend becoming familiar with using .NET in LabVIEW as there are many .NET functions to do what you want.  A method to sign a file (to detect tampering) is here  This technique allows people to view a file but if they modify it, you can easily detect it on load.  Other .NET functions exist to encrypt files completly or if you don't need full encryption just come up with some home grown obfuscation code (e.g. store backwards as binary data).  It really depends on what level of security you need.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,995 Views)

Dear  All

Thank you so much for your help!

Best Regards

Luong.Tran

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,961 Views)