From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Passing signal to analog output of sbRIO9636?

Solved!
Go to solution

Hey folks so I got my sbRIO9636 from the sbRIO evaluation kit.

I was wondering if it's possible to pass a smulated signal through the analog output of my FPGA.

I basically have 2 signals I want to simulate which go to the analog output of the FPGA into a multiplier amplifier(this is a physical IC).

However whenever I try to pass the simulated signal into my analog output I get an error because the signal is 2D while the analog output is just a fixed point. IS there any way around this?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,744 Views)

butterwaffle,

Can you describe the nature of the "simulated" signals you are trying to output. What VI are you using to generate the signals? An FPGA I/O node only accepts a single point of data, you cannot pass an array of data into an I/O node. You must generate the signals point by point or step through a list of values to output (controlling the frequency by the loop rate). If you could post a screenshot of your code thus far, it would be easier to point you in the right direction.

Nick C | Software Project Manager - LabVIEW Real-Time | National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,703 Views)

Sorry for the late reply Nick-C! I'm currently on vacation right now and just got access to the internet.

I was using the simulate signal VI here: http://www.ni.com/white-paper/4087/en/

I have tried another signal generator(I forgot the VI off the top of my head), but both of them failed due to them having a 2-D output.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,671 Views)

Do you think you could post the FPGA code that you are working with? Because I am pretty sure that the Simulate Signal VI that you are using is not supported on FPGA.

dK
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,657 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author butterwaffle

Hi Butterwaffle,

As Nick indicated, FPGA output is point-by-point - you can only write a single sample to the AO at a time.

This is probably a good place to get started:

Tutorial: Waveform Generation with CompactRIO

http://www.ni.com/white-paper/4783/en

Hope that helps!

Tom L.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,651 Views)

Thanks 0utlaw! I'll do what I can!

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,624 Views)