LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Passenger Counter

Hello guys!

I am creating a real time people counting system that aims to count the number of boarding and alighting passengers from a bus. Basically it must be capable of counting people moving bidirectionally. I am planning to overlay optical flow. Any suggestions from the community, please? 

Thank you in advance. 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(4,505 Views)

hi obiwan!

i think your question is way too general,

try to be more specific .. e.g. what (hardware) tools do you intend to use, any prior work that youve done and ran into problems with and such

the more info you give the easier ppl might find pointers for you

the only thing one can suppose is that you want some visual system (camera) and a computer vision algorithm to detect and count persons

regards jwscs

If Tetris has taught me anything, it's errors pile up and accomplishments disappear.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(4,453 Views)

Thank you jwscs.

Here's the detail:

1. I am planning to use myRIO and a logitech C920 camera.
  2. The vision system should accurately count the number of people passing the camera located overhead.
  3. The system must discriminate between inward and outward bound subjects. Number of people moving in opposite directions must be counted.
  4. As of now, I have developed a system that counts the number of cars in a highway using recorded video. However it can only count cars moving in the left lane.
  5. Here's my VI: CarCounting.vi
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(4,436 Views)

im no vision expert (and my labview is too old for viewing your code)

but i think the image acquisition you will get done easily.

deciding what is a person, and tracking it,

depends much on what you see.

it surely is no generally-solved problem and i think you might have to read lots of papers.

what might make this problem easier or harder is the source of you images.

e.g. do you see all of the bus or do you have seperate cameras for the entry point, and the exit point.

how many "sides" of a persons do you have to attribute to a single person, and so on

If Tetris has taught me anything, it's errors pile up and accomplishments disappear.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(4,412 Views)