From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pass Text from VI to main VI in real time

Solved!
Go to solution

I have a big application with many sub-VI's, every sub-vi is a complex VI where, I'm reading, saving and changing values to an external microprocessor. normally every sub-vi take 1, 2, 3, or more minutes to compleate but the operator can see just the main VI. how can I display in the main VI, the text generated in any Sub-VI in real time? because the operator need to see the status of the test in real time and not to wait until the sub-vi finish to see the result.

Thank you

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,485 Views)
You can use functional globals, queues, notifiers to transfer data between VIs. Try to look up info on each one of them and if you have any questions, please post back.
Adnan Zafar
Certified LabVIEW Architect
Coleman Technologies
Message 2 of 5
(2,467 Views)
You can also pass a reference of the indicator to the subVI and it can write to it directly. Examples ship with LabVIEW to show you how to use references, as well as the other options mentioned in the previous reply.
Message 3 of 5
(2,455 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author lmontoya

Thank you.

Resolved

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,433 Views)

Does this mean you came up with your own solution? If so, would you mind sharing it with the community? If you chose one of the posted solutions, then please mark the appropriate response as the solution and not your thank you note.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,420 Views)