cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Part time LabVIEW programmer needed

@User002 wrote:

@ChrisK88 wrote:
(...)

IMMEDIATELY disqualified people who didn't properly spell LabVIEW or TestStand on their resume. 

(...) 

Competent programming is an excercise in intelligence, attention to detail and rigor. Indeed my own experience also tells me that sloppy and simplistic reading and writing proficiency generally signals a lack of those traits and instead reeks of a banal mind, opportunism and arrogance. Indeed an irritating mindset to deal with for people that strive for excellence.

Of course there are exceptions.

Some basic spell checking in Word and asking friends and family to review the resume helps too.

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 26
(1,411 Views)

Although I find it difficult to talk about LabVIEW when people start refering to different color wires, as I'm colorblind.  (Imagine I choose a graphical language to specialize in, and my hobby is photography - go figure.)

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 26
(1,392 Views)

@Hooovahh wrote:

Yes not capitalizing your name, let alone LabVIEW properly after having so much experience, not to mention the spelling mistakes, and putting personal contact information in your post, doesn't bode well either.  If you can't be bothered to following Internet edicate, you probably aren't going to check how long ago the post was made either.

I have just spent the past 5 minutes reading this post to see if I can find something that points to "etiquette" being spelt wrong was done ironically.

I couldn't. Smiley Surprised

Found this quote on Urban Dictionary: "Edicate is when you're not edumacated enough to spell etiquette"

But then again I'm only a CLA - not a Champion - so I may be wrong. Smiley Frustrated

(Sorry Hooovahh but if you are going to post a reply like that, you best make sure that you have no mistakes in it)

Message 13 of 26
(1,380 Views)

Come on, people, let's put this topic to the well-deserved "rest" that it needs.  How about a (brief) moratorium on name-calling and finger-pointing (not that I'm always so even-tempered ...).

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 26
(1,373 Views)

Sorry Bob not done yet, besides its starting to feel like breakpoint is spilling over.  And I don't think there is name calling is there?

@REAL! wrote:

Found this quote on Urban Dictionary: "Edicate is when you're not edumacated enough to spell etiquette"

(Sorry Hooovahh but if you are going to post a reply like that, you best make sure that you have no mistakes in it) 

Yeah I wouldn't use a joke internet site like Urban Dictionary as a source, are you going to start using the Onion as well?  I did spell it rong (tee-hee-hee) but I guess that just means I'm not edumacated enough.

And my point isn't that we need to be proper in everything we do, my point is that we should be proper in LabVIEW.  If this were an english site (like examples in writing) then I would be more critical of format of other things like the proper use of Edicate, or Etiquette.  Also I'm not sure what being a CLA or Champion has to do with spelling, or grammar, but if you are appling for a LabVIEW job, I expect you to spell LabVIEW right.  If you are applying for an English job, I expect you to spell etiquette right.

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 26
(1,366 Views)

billko worte:

Although I find it difficult to talk about LabVIEW when people start refering to different color wires, as I'm colorblind.  (Imagine I choose a graphical language to specialize in, and my hobby is photography - go figure.)

Hey Bill, have you heard about EnChroma's project for restoring colour sight? Might be the thing for ya

http://enchroma.com/

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 26
(1,342 Views)

Thanks for the link.  Some variant of that technology has been around for several decades.

Lynn

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 26
(1,330 Views)

Yeah I wouldn't use a joke internet site like Urban Dictionary as a source, are you going to start using the Onion as well?  I did spell it rong (tee-hee-hee) but I guess that just means I'm not edumacated enough.

And my point isn't that we need to be proper in everything we do, my point is that we should be proper in LabVIEW.  If this were an english site (like examples in writing) then I would be more critical of format of other things like the proper use of Edicate, or Etiquette.  Also I'm not sure what being a CLA or Champion has to do with spelling, or grammar, but if you are appling for a LabVIEW job, I expect you to spell LabVIEW right.  If you are applying for an English job, I expect you to spell etiquette right.

But you criticize both his spelling of LabVIEW and his spelling in general, so for you to then make a spelling mistake seems a bit hypocritical.

You have no idea who this guy is, maybe English isn't his first language, maybe his shift key is broken... One thing is for sure, he probably won't be posting on here again after your reply, so that is one community member less to contribute.

Your instantly defensive response would suggest that you do not appreciate people pointing out your mistakes, I assumed that you think being a "Champion" gives you the license to do this.

Surely common etiquette says that you should make people feel welcome, not rip into them just because you disagree with the way they write a post.

I wasn't using Urban Dictionary as a source, I was referencing a joke I took from there. Which (as I'm sure you are aware) is Internet etiquette!

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 26
(1,306 Views)

@Daikataro wrote:

billko worte:

Hey Bill, have you heard about EnChroma's project for restoring colour sight? Might be the thing for ya

http://enchroma.com/

Yes, I actually have.  It's probably the closest thing you can get to seeing colors the same way a normal eye would.  I'd rather spend my money on LabVIEW.  😄

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 19 of 26
(1,292 Views)

@REAL! wrote:

But you criticize both his spelling of LabVIEW and his spelling in general, 

Yeah I guess I did, it wasn't my main point, it was just another bullet point in a list of reasons that wouldn't bode well for them for a potential job.

@REAL! wrote:

You have no idea who this guy is, maybe English isn't his first language, 

I highly suspect it is not.  Maybe by telling him to use proper capitalization of his (or her) name, spelling, capitalization of LabVIEW, as well as not posting personal information on the forums, they will try to avoid these types of practices in the future.  From the responses from others I'd say these things matter very much.

@REAL! wrote:

Your instantly defensive response would suggest that you do not appreciate people pointing out your mistakes, I assumed that you think being a "Champion" gives you the license to do this.

I disagree with you on multiple accounts.  I actually agreed that I made a mistake in the spelling, and made fun of myself in the process. Both things a privileged defensive person probably wouldn't do.  You can question my responses, and my status all you like, that's fine by me.  But if you are going to ask me to respond to why I said something I will.  Now I might not have been in the same state of mind of an original post as I was in a reply, but "we all have bad days".

The intent is not to belittle a person, but instead to share my opinion that if you want to be considered for a job, act professional, which means proper spelling, capitalization, and spelling LabVIEW correctly.

0 Kudos
Message 20 of 26
(1,282 Views)