From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Parsing Scalar JSON from HTTP Client

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello all, I have been using the HTTP Client to call an API via HTTP GET in order to receive a JSON string.  I want to be able to parse out all the information and data that I get in this JSON string.  I believe the JSON string I receive is a JSON Scalar and not an array or object.  It looks like a combination of array and object.  Here is an example of the data I get back:

{"measurements":[{"voltageRMS":120.12,"currentRMS":11.85,"totalEnergy":121044.295}],"code":"OK","duration":7}

I tried using "unflatten from JSON" however it did not work.  I kept on getting multiple errors.  Error 1 was that path cannot be found in JSON when I put in currentRMS as an array string in the path even though I am following the help directions.  Error 2 is that I have a different data type between JSON and LabView.  In one of the LabView examples, there is a JSON array going to multiple unflatten from JSON and it works just fine (as long as it's a JSON array).  However, once I use my JSON Scalar, the unflatten from JSON function no longer works.

So I downloaded some addons and used the JSON API from LAVA.  I used the JSON API for Scalar but kept on getting errors.  One of those errors is that the vi is unable to parse data.  I tried this with multiple parsing vi's (i.e. timestamp).  I tried using JSON array and got errors as well. 

I am completely stuck, any advice would be greatly appreciated.  Please help.  Thank you.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(4,669 Views)
What was the LabVIEW datatype you tried to turn the JSON into?

It looks like you have a cluster containing three items: an array of clusters (which in turn contains three numeric items), a string and a numeric.

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(4,634 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author DRH

Even though you only have 1 item in the array, the 'measurements' field is a JSON array - denoted by square brackets. Remember - the cluster needs to match the structure of the JSON data you are trying to decode exactly (not the format you are hoping for!).

With Unflatten From JSON - you can either convert the entire JSON string, or you can pull out items individually by path (e.g. like an XPath in XML).

Here's a couple of examples:

JSON Unflatten Measurement Data.png

In the top example - I unflatten the entire cluster and this will give an array of measurements. In the second example, I only pull out the "0th" element from the measurement array as a scalar. Had I not added the '0' into the path array, the data type / output would have been an array of measurements.

LabVIEW Champion, CLA, CLED, CTD
(blog)
Message 3 of 4
(4,620 Views)

Thank you so much Sam.  Much appreciated.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(4,597 Views)