LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pacific Power 320-ASX Single Phase

Hello.

I have been using NI's Instrument Drivers (latest for Labview2014) for a year now and used their example directly to create a sub VI that controls my Pacific Power 320-ASX 3 phase power supply (it is connected to an 8135 via GPIB).  It has worked without issues for a year now.  What I didn't realize is that NI's example sets up the power supply for 3 phase and I've just determined that I need single phase.  In their example, there is a subVI to configure the instrument with a pull down that contains phase options of: Three (default), Split, or Single.  I've selected "Single" and when I run the VI the power supply enables the output and then immediately enters a shutdown mode and disables the output.  I have tried numerous combinations of configuring the power supply using NI's Instrument Driver but I cannot get it to run in Single Phase mode.  Anyone have an insight or ideas on why it works fine in 3 phase but will not for single phase.  I can manually put the power supply into single phase mode using the front panel (and also with their UPC Manager Software) so I'm certain the issue is with the NI Instrument Driver.  Any help is appreciated.

Dan

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,568 Views)

@Dan_Warren wrote:

Hello.

I have been using NI's Instrument Drivers (latest for Labview2014) for a year now and used their example directly to create a sub VI that controls my Pacific Power 320-ASX 3 phase power supply (it is connected to an 8135 via GPIB).  It has worked without issues for a year now.  What I didn't realize is that NI's example sets up the power supply for 3 phase and I've just determined that I need single phase.  In their example, there is a subVI to configure the instrument with a pull down that contains phase options of: Three (default), Split, or Single.  I've selected "Single" and when I run the VI the power supply enables the output and then immediately enters a shutdown mode and disables the output.  I have tried numerous combinations of configuring the power supply using NI's Instrument Driver but I cannot get it to run in Single Phase mode.  Anyone have an insight or ideas on why it works fine in 3 phase but will not for single phase.  I can manually put the power supply into single phase mode using the front panel (and also with their UPC Manager Software) so I'm certain the issue is with the NI Instrument Driver.  Any help is appreciated.

Dan

What does the programmer's manual say?

Blindly using any driver can cause problems such as yours.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,562 Views)
You can use I/O Trace to capture what their software is doing and compare it to the commands being sent with the NI driver.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,558 Views)

Pacific Power does not have a programmers manual - they don't support the NI drivers.  They are written by NI and Pacific Power advertises them on their website has having LabView/LabWindows drivers.  The help available in NI for the drivers is essentially non-existant - I assume that's because it's a 3rd party driver.  Did I understand your question correctly?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,544 Views)

@Dan_Warren wrote:

Pacific Power does not have a programmers manual - they don't support the NI drivers.  They are written by NI and Pacific Power advertises them on their website has having LabView/LabWindows drivers.  The help available in NI for the drivers is essentially non-existant - I assume that's because it's a 3rd party driver.  Did I understand your question correctly?

You need to contact Pacific Power. Without knowing what their instrument requires, we'd be only guessing.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,534 Views)
Of course they have a programming manual. That is what NI (or whoever) would have used to create the LabVIEW driver.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,527 Views)