cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PXIe-8101 Unable To Compile Code

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello,

My system is a PXIe-1065 chassis (I've also had the same issue in the PXIe-1082 chassis), PXIe-8101 controller with Windows 7 installed by NI, and the following instruments:

DMM PXI-4071, Power Supply PXI-4110, DAQ PXIe-6356, Timing Card PXIe-6674T, and Motion Control PXI-7332.

I also have a PXIe-8361 which I will use on occasion and will be what I use in the long term.

Now for the actual problem. What happens is I'll put together some code in labview using the instrument driver VI's and everything will work fine. I can make VI's that call subVI's that call the instrument VI's and it works great, but if I double click on an instruments VI and then try to look at the block diagram, for example, opening "DAQmx Create Channel (AI-Voltage-Basic).vi" it seems to break the code. Initially it won't say anything but once I hit the run button the arrow will change to the broken gray arrow and will state that the code failed to compile (this is without actually changing anything with the VI, I open it and look at what it is doing).

Also any code I've written that called that VI will now get the same error, if I click show error it will bring up whatever window I was looking at last, so if I was looking at the front panel, then clicked show error it would just bring up the front panel again without highlighting anything. If I create a new file and build a small vi that uses the instrument drivers it works fine, if I copy the vi's from the broken code and paste it into the new file it will fail with the same error.

It doesn't have this behavior with all the instrument VI's but will happen with some. I mentioned it happens with "DAQmx Create Channel (AI-Voltage-Basic).vi" but then it doesn't happen with "DAQmx Timing(Sample Clock).vi". I haven't gone through and checked exactly which VI's it happens with but it seems to happen with other instruments drivers as well, not just for the DAQ. It also only seems to happen when using the PXIe-8101. If I connect it to a computer this issue doesn't pop up. My company primarily controls the chassis using MXI cards so we don't have any available embedded controllers I could swap in to see if it still happens.

It's not a big issue as looking into the instrument vi's isn't necessary for me to do my job, I just do it to try to better understand what exactly is happening but it is something I'm curious about.

----------------
DISCLAIMER: I'm a hardware engineer so I may not be familiar with some concepts/terminology/best practices so... patience is appreciated Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(3,172 Views)

Looks odd. Can you please shows us a screen shot of the error occurred and also all possible screens to identify what is really happening.

BTW do you have good experience in LabVIEW?

-----

The best solution is the one you find it by yourself
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(3,140 Views)

At the time I first noticed this error I was just starting to use labview, so I simply avoided opening that vi, now I've been working with labview for about 9 months. I haven't been working with it consistently, not all my projects require it, but I would say I've spent at least half my time working with it.

Well I seem to have recorded it slightly off. So when I looked into the DAQmx vi it gave an error and when I clicked show details it gave the following:

2-1.PNG2-2.PNG

When I tried to exit it asked me if I wanted to save the changes, I chose defer decision and eventually chose do not save. I closed labview and reopened the VI, tried to run it and it gave the error:

4-1.PNG

I selected show error and it gave:

5.PNG

Then where it said it failed to compile was within another vi in the same project. When I first opened it it said SubVI is not executable. When I clicked show error it took me to a VI that had the DAQmx vi in it and it was saying VI failed to compile.

I've attached the SubVI from which I opened the DAQmx. It's a basic vi to read analog data. Is that what you meant for screenshots?

----------------
DISCLAIMER: I'm a hardware engineer so I may not be familiar with some concepts/terminology/best practices so... patience is appreciated Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(3,119 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author arielm

Hi arielm,

Have you tried to repair or uninstall/reinstall DAQmx? You can find the latest version here: http://www.ni.com/download/ni-daqmx-9.9/4707/en/

Rick C.
Message 4 of 8
(3,110 Views)

So interesting thing. When I first got the system I had done a reinstall of the drivers, the DAQ was version 9.6, in order to try to fix the issue but it remained. I tried with the latest drivers and it now seems to work. Thank you for your help.

As a side note, do you know what was specifically going wrong that updateing the drivers would have fixed?

----------------
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(3,081 Views)

Another thing, updateing to the latest driver has stopped the breaking of future files but the files that were already broken are remaining broken. Any ideas about that?

----------------
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(3,069 Views)

It's possible that when you tried reinstalling DAQmx 9.6 that some of the VIs were not overwritten, thus leaving the problem intact. When you installed version 9.9, it probably overwrote many of the VIs, which is why you see the problem corrected when placing new VIs. 

The VIs you already have in your block diagrams, however, may still be instances of the old version VIs. The solution may simply be to replace the VIs with a VI of the same name (e.g. replace "Create Virtual Channel" with "Create Virtual Channel" if broken). 

Let me know if this helps!

Rick C.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(3,053 Views)

Replacing the VI's seemed to fix it. Right clicking on them and selecting replace then navigating to the desired VI.

Thanks for your help.

----------------
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(3,036 Views)