LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PXI-8184 Altitude Limitations?

Solved!
Go to solution

I just noticed on page A-2 of the PXI-8184 User Manual that the operating environment altitude is limited to 2000 m @ 25 C ambient temperature (6561 ft @ 77 F). Is this strictly due to the reduced effectiveness of convective cooling in an atmosphere that is less dense? I am curious because I will be operating my system at 9,000 ft for a few weeks...

Michael

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,662 Views)
Solution
Accepted by Michael_Fidler

Hi Michael,

The reason your device is listed with a max altitude of 2000m is because this is the official UL certification testing level we have gone through. Unfortunately this means we can not recommend using the card above 2000m. I looked into it a little further and this limitation is not only due to cooling but also due to concerns about  

Possible dielectric breakdown issues that can result in dangerous safety hazards, meaning that the capacitors in the system may not function correctly at altitude.

I hope that was helpful, let me know if you have any further questions.

Thanks

Scott M.

Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(3,633 Views)
Interesting. Well we fly out next week so it's a little to late to switch to anything else. I'll let you guys know how it goes...
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,622 Views)
The PXI system worked fine at 9,000 feet for two weeks. Temperatures were between 20F at night and 65F during the day.
Message 4 of 7
(3,509 Views)

I noticed the same altitude limitation in cDAQ modules NI-9862 (CAN) and NI-9234, is your explanation still applicable?

Best regards,
Néstor

LabVIEW 2017 + Windows 10
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,133 Views)

Nestor,

This post is from 2010 so the original participants may not reply.  

Scotts answer is still applicable.  Do a search for high altitude dielectric effects if you want some background informaiton.  

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(3,109 Views)

Sure, but it worked, someone replied :P.

I'll look for that, thanks!

Best regards,
Néstor

LabVIEW 2017 + Windows 10
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,086 Views)