LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PXI 6229 - Synchronizing Digital Pulsed Outputs

Hello, I would like to use the PXI 6229 to setup 3 Digital Pulsed Outputs (Square Waves) with the same frequency.  

I would like each digital output to be shifted in time from one another by  50 ms.  Is this possible using the LabVIEW DAQmx support?

Thanks so much!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,617 Views)

Hi Testdesign,

The software side of the project (DAQmx) should be perfectly capable of sending out the 3 square waves- you'll need to have 3 counter output tasks, and you can set it up similarly to this community example. Varying the Initial Delay input for each of the tasks should give you the time shift you're looking for between the pulses.

Because you're trying to run 3 counter tasks, though, I'm concerned that the hardware you're running may not be up to the task. As you can see from the 6229's datasheet, it only has 2 counters available- this leaves you one counter short of what you would need. I'm less familiar with the PXI line of devices, so it's possible that the PXI chassis could provide you with the 3rd counter, but you'll want to check before you assume that there's another available.

Kathryn K.
Technical Support Engineer
National Instruments
http://ni.com/support
Message 2 of 3
(2,565 Views)

Instead of counters you can output, using hardware timed digital lines (up to 32 channels, up to 1us resolution). 

One task with 3 lines (port0/line0..2), fill 2D boolean array based on channels offsets, time resolution and required period.  Convert each line (time point) into U32

Check in Help -> Find Examples, for example Cont Write Dig Port-Int Clk.vi 

Message 3 of 3
(2,554 Views)