From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PHD 2000 Pump driver change infuse rate

Hi everybody,

I'm using a PHD 2000 pump and, i found the driver in your web page: http://sine.ni.com/apps/utf8/niid_web_display.model_page?p_model_id=2600  

My problem is that i cannot change the infuse rate using the labview program. The program runs well, the pump receives the command to begin working but, the infuse rate doesnot change in the panel of the pump (but it changes in the program). Also, i'm testing the changes using a sensor and, it shows that the infuse rate doesnot change.

Thanks,

Daniela

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 14
(5,644 Views)

Are you able to change the rate and verify the change happens without using the program but with the controls on the device?

-AK2DM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"It’s the questions that drive us.”
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 14
(5,638 Views)
Yes, i can change the infuse rate using the panel of the pump.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 14
(5,633 Views)
Also, i can see the change using a flow sensor
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 14
(5,632 Views)

Daniela:

I'm a bit pressed for time and could not go through the manual. It look like the driver was written by Harvard Apparatus, you may want to contact them to get quicker support.

Here is a link to the manual if needed:

http://instechlabs.com/Support/manuals/PHD2000manual.pdf

-AK2DM

"It’s the questions that drive us.”
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 14
(5,621 Views)

ok, i'll write them.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 14
(5,615 Views)

Hi Daniela:

I too am using Harvard Apparatus PHD 2000; I was wondering if you could tell me what kind of cables you used to connect the pump to the computer. I spoke to the technical support at HA and was a bit confused, they wanted me to use, so it seems, RJ11 cables. There is a RS232 cable socket behind the machine, can I just use RS232 -RS232 cable and then labview will be able to talk to the instrument?

Thank you.

--Fahim

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 14
(5,329 Views)

I used a similar pump recently.  We used an adapter that plugged into the 9-pin serial port on the back of the computer and provided an RJ11 jack.  We connected this to the pump with a 4-wire cable with RJ11 connectors at each end and everything worked fine.  I don't know which adapter we used - it had been purchased before I got involved in the project - but an equivalent adapter would be the 9F6CK (depending on the gender needed) from B&B Electronics, http://www.bb-elec.com/product_family.asp?familyid=50

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 14
(5,327 Views)

Thank you nathand. I just made a cable my self. I got a useless DB9 female  end and connected it to a RJ11 cable according to the diagram in the manual. It is to be noted, if anyone was confused, that the digaram in the user manual refer to the RJ11 and DB9 female cables and not the sockets. The support at HA did mention the 50% of customers get it wrong while making the cables themsleves, I think it may be due to the fact that some may think the diagrams refer to the sockets. I am also attaching the page in from the manual for the reference to the diagram.

I am also using their PHDdriver.vi, and having troubles setting up the instrument from the vi front panel. It only works at the infusion settings. I am wondering if anyone has tried running this vi and had similar problems. Basically I can't set the pump to go the other way. Any suggestions would be helpful. 

--Fahim 

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 14
(5,311 Views)

I didn't use PHDdriver.vi; I wrote my own code to handle the commands I needed.  That driver VI looks pretty old to me - it still uses the old-style serial VIs (which are now wrappers around VISA).  The protocol is very simple to implement.  Can you connect to the pump using Hyperterminal and send it commands directly?  If that works, then write some simple LabVIEW code (basically just VISA Read and VISA write) to try sending the same commands through LabVIEW.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 14
(5,299 Views)