From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Overlay image with transparent background - images of different sizes

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi guys, 

I'm new to using overlay functions and I'm not sure how to do what I'm trying, so wanted to ask for some help/advice.

I have a feed coming in from a Kinect sensor, and I want to overlay a small image over the top. The image I want to overlay is small and so I only want it to cover part of the camera feed. It also has some transparency on the smaller image, which I would like to have in my overlay.

I have been looking at the overlay VIs, and found one called IMAQ Overlay bitmap - but I think that a bitmap would not have transparency so I would end up with a white square background on the image I'm trying to overlay on my camera feed.

Is there an easy way to do what I need? 

Thanks in advance,

Lou

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(6,495 Views)

@vascibean wrote:

I have been looking at the overlay VIs, and found one called IMAQ Overlay bitmap - but I think that a bitmap would not have transparency so I would end up with a white square background on the image I'm trying to overlay on my camera feed.

Yes, you can use transparency:

Result:

Andrey.

Message 2 of 5
(6,480 Views)

Hi there,

I've been trying to copy what you've got here but I'm still having a few problems. 

Below I have attached an example of one of the images I want to import with transparency. However, when I put that image though the IMAQ VI's it comes out looking something like this.

ss34.png

This is obviously making it come out wrong when I try and merge the images.

Any suggestions that could fix the problem?

I've attached the VI I've been using to try and get it working,

Lou

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(6,426 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author BonbonBLou

@vascibean wrote:

I want to import with transparency. 

The following kb should be helpful for you:

Community Admin Note:  The article link has been removed due to invalid information.

Andrey.

Message 4 of 5
(6,405 Views)

Brilliant thank you!

That second link was really useful  - I managed to get my image overlaying properly and I can not get started with getting my images on the camera feed.

The first was also useful, I think I might experiment and see what they look like as .gifs as that might suit my needs better.

Thanks again!

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(6,388 Views)