cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Output to trigger 120VAC Solenoid valve

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

I have 4 solenoid valves 120VAC, working at 6.1 watts, requiring 0.05 amps. I want to control them from labVIEW via a DAQ hardware device. 

My doubt is if there are hardware devices out there which give that much output to trigger a solenoid valve ON/OFF?

If NO, is there any way that I can achieve this?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(4,282 Views)

Have you tried a digital output controlling a relay?

Jim

LV 2020
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(4,273 Views)

Thank you for the reply Jim.

I haven't tried it. Can you please explain in detail.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(4,271 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Seema

A digital output device (DO) is controlled by your PC to turn a DC voltage on and off.  A relay is a switch that uses an electrical input, typically low voltage but not always, and usually low current (like from a DO) to switch a higher voltage and/or current signal - like your 120VAC to control your solenoid.

Jim

LV 2020
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(4,260 Views)

Thank you Jim

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(4,253 Views)

hi

just use a relay circuit to switch any type of inductive load .you can get a lot of relay circuits from internet ....if not found then i will try to send u....

bye bye

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(4,241 Views)

Solid state relays (SSR's) are a good way to go, they can trpicially be driven by most DIO lines and create no inductive spike when turned off. They also come in zero-crossing turn on/off styles for a clean power on/off transition on the AC side.

If you do end up using a coil based relay, be sure to a reverse biased diode (1N4004 work well) to prevent damage to the DIO line when turned off (aforementioned inductive spike).

-AK2DM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"It’s the questions that drive us.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(4,234 Views)

Hi,

I have the exact same problem as the original poster of this thread. Does your offer stilll stand? I did search the internet for relay circuits and did not find any circuits relevant.

Would you be willing to try to send me circuit diagrams of a relay triggering a solenoid?

You would be helping a college student project!!!

🙂

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(3,577 Views)

Try This 

Jim

LV 2020
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(3,520 Views)