From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Output of the Nintendo Wii Board Program

Hi All,

I am searching for the units of the values generated in the attached program for the individual feet of the wii boards. I have looked around the internet (maybe someone can direct me to the right spot) and have checked the various threads on the NI forum. Just looking at the block diagram, I would guess it's Newtons but standing on the boards myself, the values don't equate to my weight in newtons.

Here, http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/Use-Wii-Balance-Board-in-LabVIEW/td-p/710740/page/2#, craya mentions dividing the sum of the four sensors by a value (ratio of units per kg) to get a final weight.

What I am interested in is determining from the output values, is the distance of an applied force from the centre spot of the boards (i.e. looking for x and y distances from the centre). 

Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks,

Anton

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(3,019 Views)

Hi Anton,

If your goal is to determine the distance of a force from the center you may not need to know the units of the sensor values. Knowing the physical dimensions of the Wii balance board and the readings from each sensor you should be able to determine the point of force in x-y coordinates with the center of the board as the origin. I found this helpful paper about testing the Wii board to determine the accuracy of just these types of measurements. Included in the paper you'll see some equations the authors used for determining the center of pressure for an applied force. These should work but I believe the y coordinate equation should read W/2 rather than L/2.

I hope this helps!

Best,

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,972 Views)