LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Output labview array to LED grid using DI/O on Elvis II??

I have been working on a project. I am attempting to use the DI/O on the ELvis II board to power an 10x6 LED grid similar 

to the common-row cathode design here

http://www.appelsiini.net/2011/how-does-led-matrix-work

I have been attempting to generate block patterns using an array in labview, then somehow convert this array to show the block pattern on the grid. I was planning on using DI/O 0-5 to power the columns and DI/O 6-15 to power the rows. Is such a thing even possible? So far I have created a simple DAQ assistant to control the DI/O on the board and can control values that way. i was just interested in knowing if they can be controlled using a labview program.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,250 Views)

I think you should not Use the D I/O as a power sink. it's better to use some relay circuit to provide the Ground line.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(3,231 Views)

I have no previous experience using relays, so I am not sure how they work, nor do I have any available in this lab. It seems based of the schematics I see for relay circuits, that they rely on a physical switch? Since all the controls need to be controlled by labview, I am using the DI/O in place of actualy physical switches, so that current can be contolled via software.  This is part of an assignment I am attempting, so I am restricted to time/money. That is why I ask if this is possible and if so, how. I have looked into other methods such as using a microcontroller, but time has me restricted.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,208 Views)

@Sa1ntest wrote:

I have no previous experience using relays, so I am not sure how they work, nor do I have any available in this lab. It seems based of the schematics I see for relay circuits, that they rely on a physical switch? Since all the controls need to be controlled by labview, I am using the DI/O in place of actualy physical switches, so that current can be contolled via software.  This is part of an assignment I am attempting, so I am restricted to time/money. That is why I ask if this is possible and if so, how. I have looked into other methods such as using a microcontroller, but time has me restricted.

You need to look into specifications on the current sink capabilities of the DIO board.

If you burn up the DIO board, you'll be toast.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(3,203 Views)

I have done all the research regarding votlage/current capabalities and limits, so I dont think that would be a problem. 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,194 Views)

@Sa1ntest wrote:

I have done all the research regarding votlage/current capabalities and limits, so I dont think that would be a problem. 

You'll still need current-limiting resistors for the LEDs.

Otherwise, I don't see why you shouildn't be able to use the Elvis II for your purposes if it has DIO capabilities.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(3,188 Views)

Generate digital pulse from your D I/O to control the relay. With Digital High State, the mechanical arrangement will connect the COMM to "NO" .... and you will get your programmable Ground. (in your case NC is not necessary I hope) 

The device is not so costly. you can purchase 4-5 number with your pocket money only. And It must be available to your nearby Electronics Shop. Use 1 for each line.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,175 Views)