LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Organize Information from measurements into Excel

Greetings everyone

i'm a student in Eletronic Eng, from Portugal, and i know most of you already saw this kind of question on the forums, but i'm trying to save the data from my measurements into an Excel file

I'm using Xbees to aquire data from 2 sensores, one for temperature, and other from a proximity sensor (that reads the rpm of a dc motor).
the first part of my VI just simply reads the incoming information from the Xbee (comes in ASCII code) and i already manage to select and take the information i need

it comes something like this:
7E 00 13 90 00 13 A2 00 40 A2 3A 63 C0 DD 01 32 32 2E 36 39 0D 0A 85

the only information i need is the 32 32 2E 36 39 (its just an example)

anyway, i would like to save my data into 3 collums in excel

something that would appear like this:

Date time                                Temperature       RPM
YYYY-MM-DD HH-MM-SS         XX.XX                  XXX     (This line is an example of the format display of the information)
2014-06-25 10:01:02                18.15                     86     (this line is just an example)

I would like to know if you can check my VI and help me find a solution to best my needs

the goal is to have the information being read from 10 in 10 seconds, and save it in the excel file. the excel file does not requires to be open, i mean, its not a save in real time thing. I just wanna to write it on an excel file, like when you use the labview to write on a .txt file, you dont need it to be open.

also i apologize for my bad language and skill and English, i learn it all from videogames and movies so.. yeah..

Also, i already tried to search for other solutions, on this forum and other places, tried many things but still cant do it (i guess its probably something simple, but i dont have the skills to do it maybe), but i'm thinking into creating an array (one collum for each information), and use the write to spreadsheet to do it. Dont know if i'm correct

can anyone help me?

Many thanks in avance

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,182 Views)

In terms of the actual saving part, it looks like you are basically on the way. The only change I would make to the way you are using the Write to Spreadsheet File VI is to use the default delimiter. In Europe commas are uses in decimal notation -- things can get confused. One thing to note is that what you are creating is not really an Excel file. It's an ASCII datafile that is formatted such that excel will open it without complaining.

There are also ActiveX solutrions for writing to an Excel datafile, the Excel report format if you have the Report Gneration toolkit, and you can even use the ADO interface to write Excel files.

One more thing to consider is how often you want to save your data. Saving it all at once at the end is easy, but if the test runs a long time and it crashes part way through you can lose a lot of data -- thus resulting the sheading of many tears. 

Mike...

PS: Based on the name you gave your attachment, I would say you also have spent many enjoyable hours watching Monty Python reruns...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,156 Views)