From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Order generator

Hello,

I like the project to change the value of the voltage of a generator via labview, and I is not how to send my orders to the generator. My generator is a AXOS and is connect with an Ethernet connection to my computer. Can you give me some information so that I can get an idea please.

Regards,
Bilel.A

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(3,209 Views)

The manual for the voltage source should explain what commands are necessary to operate it.

Steve Bird
Culverson Software - Elegant software that is a pleasure to use.
Culverson.com

Blog for (mostly LabVIEW) programmers: Tips And Tricks

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(3,203 Views)

Thanks for you reply.

I know the commands I need to send but I do not know how to send. I saw that we had to use a driver is it his?

Bilel.A
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(3,198 Views)

If the supplier happens to make a LabVIEW driver for the instrument, then use it.

If the instrument is TCP based, then all the driver will do for you is translate recognizable commands into binary command striings.

I's very simple to open a TCP connection, send a few commands, and receive data.

Look at the LabVIEW examples for how to set up TCP connections.  My blog also has some articles on TCP basics.

Steve Bird
Culverson.com

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(3,193 Views)

Thanks for you reply,

Yes the generator have a TCP/IP connection. I going look the exemple if i have a problem. I'm back

Bilel.Arf

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(3,156 Views)

Hello,

There is a driver for controlling the generators of Haefely hipotronics brand (AXOS8)?

Thanks,

Bilel.ARF

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(3,149 Views)

There is a driver for controlling the generators of Haefely hipotronics brand (AXOS8)?

I'm not sure why you are asking me - I've never heard of AXOS, or Haefly, and I don't know what "hipotronics" is.

If it's TCP, then the manual should list commands that you have to send to operate it.

You need to know it's IP number (most likely settable from the instrument itself), and it's IP port number (maybe settable, maybe not).

You need to TCP OPEN a connection to that IP number and port.

PAY ATTENTION TO ERRORS from TCP OPEN !.

Once the connection is open, use TCP WRITE to send it commands, and TCP READ to receive answers back.

Use TCP CLOSE to break the connection.

It's possible that the instrument uses UDP to send data - that means it doesn't send DATA on the same connection as it receives COMMANDS.

If that's the case you have to open a UDP socket to accept that data.

But get the TCP link working first.

If you're new to TCP communications,this article might be of help.  It's just like a telephone.

Steve Bird
Culverson.com

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(3,131 Views)

Thanks for your help,

my generator includes AXOS commands, here is a line axos type of program: CW: SET: SURGES <value>. This allows you to give a value to the tension. Now I do not know if I send directly to the TCP / IP link this command or I must go through converter or other type of instrument?

Bilel.Arf

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(3,128 Views)

Make sure the instrument is disconnected from equipment it could potentially harm, in case you accdentally command it to go to 400 V instead of 400 mV.

Find out the IP address and the PORT.

In LabVIEW open a connection to the instrument, using the IP addr and port.  

If no error,

send the command CW: SET: SURGES 1.23

Close the connection.

What happens?

Steve Bird
Culverson.com

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(3,124 Views)