LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Opening of Top-Level VI in Executable not working right.

Ok, first a little history...

When you create a top-level VI that you don't want to always open immediately, you have a problem. You can tell LabVIEW to not open the front panel when loaded into memory or called, but there are still situations where you could still see a momentary flash of the window opening, followed by LabVIEW closing it back up again. This issue has been there for a long long time.

You could workaround this problem by configuring the VI properties to use 100% transparency, and then in your code set the transparency back to 0 when you are ready to make the front panel visible.

The problem is that since the relaease of V2015 this workaround no longer works reliably and still exists in V2016. I haven't raised the issue before now because I didn't have code that reliably demonstrates the problem -- now I do.

My project consists of a main executable and several small executables (also written in LabVIEW) that the main executable calls as needed. One of these small executables was demonstating the problematic behavior. As a test, I copied the files that files that are used in the executable (there are only 6) into a project of their own created a build specification and built the executable in this new project. 

First difference is that although the two build specs are identical, the resulting executables are different sizes. The second difference is that the version built in a separate project does NOT show the problem. Again, to emphasize: the two builds used identical code and were configured identically.

So why the difference?

It appears that LabVIEW handles the opening  of the window differently depend on the size of the project that is containing the build spec -- which makes no sense.

Any ideas would be appreciated, and if you would like to see the code let me know and I can send it to you -- it won't do anything, but you can see the behavior.

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,594 Views)

I'd be interested to see your code so see if I can see the same behavior on my computer.

Matt G.
Product Manager
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,533 Views)

Under "VI properties... window run time position" there is an option for "position=minimized". Have you tried that? Then programatically restore it as needed.

(A temporary flash in the task bar is probably less noticeable.)

About the size difference. How different? Is one using the fast file format?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,514 Views)