cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Opening TDMS files larger than 500Mb in LabVIEW

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello Norbert

I am trying to arrange for Win 7 PC and install LV for 64-bit on it will i have to build my EXE again on the PC or can i run the same EXE as i have now?

if i need not have to build the EXE, i will only get the run time and drivers installed. else, i will need the entire development system for 64-bit LV 2011 installed.

Also, i do not have rights to get VMMap installed but thank you for the information.

Regards
Freelance_LV
TestAutomation Consultant
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 13
(882 Views)

VMMap does not require an installation.

If the EXE was built using a 32bit LV, you have to recreate it with LV 64bit if you want to use >4GB on a 64bit OS.

Norbert

Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CEO: What exactly is stopping us from doing this?
Expert: Geometry
Marketing Manager: Just ignore it.
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 13
(879 Views)

Hi Freelance,

TDMS itself has no limitaton about the file size. When opening a TDMS file it will not load the whole contents to memory. So it's possible to open a TDMS file which is bigger than the  physical memory you have on your computer.

For your problem I guess it gives memory full error when you are reading or displaying the raw data from the TDMS file, in this case it will introduce memory copy which will amplify the memory consumption. Do you got memory full in TDMS Open or TDMS Read? How much physical memory on your computer? Can you upload your sample file or reader VI thus we can do more investigations.

Possible solution I can think out for now is to try to fetch data from your TDMS file with smaller size and multiple times. For example, if you are using TDMS read to fetch a whole channel which have 1M samples. You can call TDMS read two times and load 0.5M samples for each instead of loading the whole 1M samples in one read. That will reduce the memory consumption for the read or display call.

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 13
(850 Views)