LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Open encrypted file

Hello guys. This question may have been asked, but I couldn't find the right thread. So, here it goes.

I have an encrypted (using blowfish encryption algorithm) binary text file that I want to only be opened using my labview app. 

This text file will be open to the public so anyone who has this app can open and use the text file. 

So far:

1. I generate a unique password and I encrypt the text file with this password.

2. I then ENCODE this password using the yEnc encoding algorithm.

3. I then store this encoded password inside (at the beginning of the encrypted text file and END the password with a CR).

4. When the app reads this file it reads the first line of the encrypted text (looking for the CR as the termination character).

5. I then DECODE that first line (to extract the original password), and use this password to DECRYPT the rest of the text file.

The reason I am approching it this way is because this app generates 2 types of text files. 

a. A personal encrypted text file which only the specific user of the app (with his/her username and password) can read/use it.

b. A public encrypted text file which ANY user using this app only can read it (as explained on the text above).

Is there an easier way of dealing with the above problem? Any suggestions are appriciated.

Thanks 

Kas

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,909 Views)

What about a zip file because you can just zip the file with a password.

So I take my text file (and any other files) zip it using the OpenG zip utility (because it supports passwords).  Without knowing more details about how you want users to be restricted, I'm not sure how to help.  What exactly are you trying to accomplish and how should the system lockout users?  

Depending on your needs you could just use some kind of Windows security that blocks access from certain users.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,854 Views)

What about a folder protector program that can be used to password protect the folder as well as set permissions to different users? For example, you can set a admin password for yourself, and then set a password for User 1, and prohibit modify, copy, cut, etc rights, so people who only know User 1 password can only read the protected files. You can find such kind of software here.

Well, you can also try the 7zip software to compress the files and set password for it.

You try the methods above and choose the most suitable one for you.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,734 Views)