From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Open VI Reference Function in an Executable

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi All,

Is it possible to call a sub-VI (which within itself calls other sub-VIs not included in the executable source files) from an executable (LabVIEW 2011).

I have no problems calling the sub-VI via "Open VI reference" when runing the main vi as is. As soon as i build the execuable, search for the intended subVI the exe"looks for a few items" then stalls.

The subVI controls a few comports, and prompts the user to take some actions. The SubVI requires an input from the Main VI and when completed outputs a cluster of for the Main VI to continue.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,296 Views)

Hi,

File path's use to be the most common issue when building .exe's.

Add a debugging dialog popup window displaying the path.

Br,

/Roger

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,290 Views)

Hi Roger,

Do you mean the file path to the subVI or the exe?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,258 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Kamilan

Hi All,

Firstly the main error was "1031 ~ VI Reference type does not match VI connector pane."

Secondly, the subVI had a dependency on "Space Constant.vi" which is stored in the vi.lib, The Main executable did not have "Space Constant" in its vi.lib.

SOULTION

1. Added a "space constanst" to the executable project.

2. Ensured that the Refnum type was not "strict" (also ensure refnum matches VI pane)

becuase I am using a cluster, if the main cluster changes for any reason, you must update the inputs and outputs of your subVIs. This was achieved may making the cluster a control type def. However, because some subVIs are independent from the main, I have to ensure I use the lastest controls when building independent subVIs.

This allowed me to run the subVI.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,249 Views)