From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Open VI Reference Function and a RUN VI RUN VI Method Causes Error 1000 with version 2014

Solved!
Go to solution

I inherited an application that was originally created with LabVIEW version 8.6 for a Windows XP system but I am updating it with LabVIEW 2014 for a Windows 10 system.

It all works except for one section where an Open VI Reference Function is used and later
a RUN VI RUN VI Method is used.

This works fine with the version 8.6 application but with the 2014 version, I am getting an Error 1000.

Is this caused by a bug with version 2014?

Any ideas on how to fix this problem?

Thnaks

Here is what the this part of the application looks like:

Error 1000.jpg

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 44
(3,554 Views)

Have you compiled that "plugin" VI with LV 2014?

Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CEO: What exactly is stopping us from doing this?
Expert: Geometry
Marketing Manager: Just ignore it.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 44
(3,549 Views)

Thanks for the quick reply...

Which  "plugin" VI?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 44
(3,543 Views)

Not quite which plugin Vi to compile or how to do that...

Is this done by itself and before the project build?

thanks

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 44
(3,534 Views)

The VI you load with Open VI Reference is the one i am referring to. This has to be compiled in LV 2014 as well in order to work correctly.

However, thinking about the error message, it should be a different one if it's in a wrong version.

Are you running the stuff in the LV Development Environment?

What happens if you manually load the VI?

Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 44
(3,530 Views)

I would also check Windows file permissions.  XP was a lot more forgiving about files on root.  Win 10 really will not make it so simple to use protected areas.

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 44
(3,522 Views)

can it be that your called vi is broken?

or like this doc suggest a reference is still open and not closed

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/DE45BD35AFE818E2862565FB00592B31

If Tetris has taught me anything, it's errors pile up and accomplishments disappear.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 44
(3,516 Views)

Thanks Norbert

I am now running this in the 2014 LabView Development Environment  (LDE) but it was failing

in the version 2014 built executable which is why I am now looking at it with the LDE...

The VI will load and run without problems by itself and also when built with LabVIEW v 8.6 and called 

from that built executable.

I did some reading up on Error 1000, and read that this error usually indicates that the VI is already

running when called but this is does not appear to be the case with my application.

The same error will occur if the targeted VI is not running, but is reserved for running when a reference to it is

opened using the Open VI Reference function with a strictly typed VI Refnum wired to the type specifier

VI Refnum input.

I am not using the type specifier to call the VI while using a Call By Reference Node, and as I understand it, the

VI is not reserved for running.

and that is as far as I got with it...

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 44
(3,505 Views)

Thanks Jeff-

I checked the file permissions by removing read only settings for all files in the folder but this didn't help.

Is that what you meant?

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 44
(3,500 Views)

@robojeff wrote:

Thanks Norbert

I am now running this in the 2014 LabView Development Environment  (LDE) but it was failing

in the version 2014 built executable which is why I am now looking at it with the LDE...[...]

So in the DevEnv everything works as expected?

If so: What is inside that VI(s) you call here?

I can imagine that you have a licensing issue when using packages which require an activation of a license....

Norbert
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 44
(3,499 Views)