From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Open URL in Default Browser

I have a simple help file saved in Word as an HTML file and the "Open URL in Default Browser.vi" works fine on my development machine (XP SP2) in the editor and compiled but not on a target PC (XP SP3). The browser just won't open. I'm using using LV 8.5.1 Pro, both machines use IE 7. I've gone through all the IE settings and they are identical. I also tried installing Google Chrome on the target machine, made it the default browser and it won't open either when called by the Open URL vi. Double clicking on the HTML file from Explorer opens the browser and displays the file on the development and target machine. SP3 issue? tnx Bob
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(5,413 Views)

What URL are you providing? Is this an absolute path or a relative path? If it's a relative path are you aware of this: Why Does My Executable Not Work When Using the Current VI's Path Constant?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(5,403 Views)

Nope, not SP3 issue...

Guess what?... LabVIEW issue (again). "Open URL in Default Browser.vi" calls a DLL that is starting to not work anymore. My customers are now using IE9 and are having the same problem. NI's support pointed me to check some registry keys that aren't valid anymore.... Then told me to use a .NET call to launch the default browser: worked for a while, but then customers started having issues (apparently the .NET call invokes IE, **IF** IE is the defautl browser. If it is not, then it fails to launch the default browser.

No solution yet. Smiley Frustrated

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(5,048 Views)

@MGiacomet wrote:

Nope, not SP3 issue...

Guess what?... LabVIEW issue (again). "Open URL in Default Browser.vi" calls a DLL that is starting to not work anymore. My customers are now using IE9 and are having the same problem. NI's support pointed me to check some registry keys that aren't valid anymore.... Then told me to use a .NET call to launch the default browser: worked for a while, but then customers started having issues (apparently the .NET call invokes IE, **IF** IE is the defautl browser. If it is not, then it fails to launch the default browser.

No solution yet. Smiley Frustrated

Well, whoopty doo. IE9. Now that is cutting-edge. Not.

Maybe the registry keys don't exist anymore, because your customers are using antiquated software. Or maybe it is something else.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(5,030 Views)

The easiest solution is to use a command shell call: Start "[url]"

/Y

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(5,017 Views)

Hi,

I am using the block Open URL in Default Browser.vi (Labview 2013). i want after the browser open my URL close it automatically after few seconds . Please can any one help me?

Best Regards

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(4,940 Views)

What is the purpose of opening a URL to only automatically close it a few seconds later?

Now is the right time to use %^<%Y-%m-%dT%H:%M:%S%3uZ>T
If you don't hate time zones, you're not a real programmer.

"You are what you don't automate"
Inplaceness is synonymous with insidiousness

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(4,935 Views)

Hi i want to execute an url by opening it in browser to send data. this task will be done each 30 secondes so we will get after 5 min par exemple a lot of of browser open . his is why i want after i get the information from the url i want to close the browser to open later another one 🙂

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(4,917 Views)

Use the HTTP Client VIs to send your data to the URL. I'm assuming you're using some sort of GET parameters in your URL to send your data.

LabVIEW Champion, CLA, CLED, CTD
(blog)
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(4,904 Views)