LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Open File Dialog Box will only open in full screen mode

When opening a vi from the "File" pull down menu in LabVIEW. The open file dialog box opens in full screen mode only. There is no minimize button or restore down button just like other windows open dialog boxes so far so good. However, when I open Microsoft Wordn  then opena  file, the dialog box opens, I can grab the edges of the window and resize at will, grab the window then move it anywhere on the screen. With LabVIEW the size is fixed full screen, cannot be moved or resized, this also occurs when running a VI and the user has to select a file input, fullscreen only. If the user or programmer has other windows open and needs to see something before chosing a file, you have to close the window write down what you need and then start the process over again, especially when debugging an application. Grabbing the entire screen with an application hindering all other operations is troublesome, The attachment shows a typical LabVIEW open file dialog box which consumes the entire screen everytime all the time.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(7,347 Views)

Double-click in the title bar area, you must have done that at some point to get it into full-screen mode.

Message 2 of 8
(7,345 Views)

This is not a new idea for how to improve LabVIEW, but a regular support type of question.

I'll ask the moderator to move it to the LabVIEW forum.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(7,336 Views)

This isn't even a LabVIEW question.  It's a Windows API question.  I'm pretty sure it's just a standard windows file dialog box doing exactly what standard dialog boxes do.  (For isntance, download the very picture you posted and you'll find it's the same box.)

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(7,277 Views)

One reply giving a helpful answer (which just helped me) and two unnecessary critical posts. Thanks for the explanation, it hadn't occurred to me since I didn't intentionally maximise the window.  

Message 5 of 8
(7,125 Views)

While I agree that one post was more directly helpful, I fail to see how the other posts were critical.  The two others correctly identified it as not a LabVIEW problem, one of those two redirected your post to a place more appropriate.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(7,110 Views)

OK, I was a bit hasty. The thanks stand. Can't see how to edit the post, please consider the rest withdrawn.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(7,089 Views)

MalcolmBebb@Honeywell wrote:

OK, I was a bit hasty. The thanks stand. Can't see how to edit the post, please consider the rest withdrawn.

It's okay - we all get like that at some time or other.  I dread reading my posting history for that reason.  😉

I'm just glad you got exactly the help you needed. 

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(7,084 Views)