From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Open EXE

Solved!
Go to solution

Is there anyway to find out who has a LabVIEW EXE open? I am trying to update a EXE but I keep getting an general error which I have attributed to someone working in the executable.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,549 Views)

Just to clarify, is your executable on a network location and run by several workstations? Then when you try to delete it, or overwrite it, it says that the file is in use?

If the program is used at ~10 stations I think the best thing to do would be to contact the people who use it and ask them to close it. If it is more like ~100 stations, that will be very tricky... 

What we usually do right now is have one program called a "launcher", it will check that the local disk files have the same timestamp as the network files (or download the network files if different), and then it will run the local copy of the executable. This way you can easily update the files on the network, and everyone gets their own local copy to run. It's probably not the best solution, I'd like to hear what other people do in this situation.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,518 Views)

Yeah, mine's something like less than 10 users but there is one that I just cannot find!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,512 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Eric1977

A network administrator should be able to do an audit.  I usually wait for a shift change, or make updates on Fridays when there is no second shift.

Edit: spelling errorSmiley Wink

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,508 Views)