LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Open Beta: New toolkit for high-quality plots

Hi heliosphere,

nice toolkit!

- Why doesn't your "Close Plot ID" VI provide/support error clusters as any usual CLOSE function should?

- There are some typos in the (context) help, search for "psuedocolor"…

To your comment on Close (from GettingStarted-example):

Close.vi has a special feature: no error inputs or outputs.  This is to simplify your cleanup code and avoid a situation where Close.vi is accidentially not called.

- Any other Close function has error I/O, but ignores them internally. (Files are closed regardless of errors. Queues/notifiers are deleted regardless of errors. …)

- It doesn't simplify my cleanup code, when LabVIEW AutoCleanup moves your close.vi out of line because of missing error cluster connections.

- When your Close is in line with any other toolkit function it will get called even with error cluster wired!

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
Message 11 of 21
(2,223 Views)

Gerd, thoult - thanks for your feedback!  This is exactly what I was hoping for.

thoult... we have a number of features in the pipeline.  Pie charts would be awesome!  Right now the most important thing is to get it through the Compatible with LabVIEW program so it can go on the Tools Network.  Some plotting features aren't exposed right now because of issues (consistency, error handling) that will have to be handled upstream.

Gerd... I am starting to agree with you that omitting error terminals on Close.vi is a bad idea.  The special error handling on cleanup VIs is kind of confusing, but it's probably more important to be consistent with other LabVIEW VIs than to do our own thing.  We will probably change this for the 1.0 release.

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 21
(2,188 Views)

Do you have any information on pricing at all? Even rough ballpark figures and ideas as to how it'll work?

---
CLA
0 Kudos
Message 13 of 21
(2,183 Views)

@thoult wrote:

Do you have any information on pricing at all? Even rough ballpark figures and ideas as to how it'll work?

Pricing isn't final yet, but I'm happy to share our current thinking for how Toolkit sales might work.  We're looking at distribution on the LabVIEW Tools Network, so at least initially you'll likely see unit quantities available under a pretty typical one-computer-per-license arrangement.  More complex arrangements (e.g. multi-seat licenses) are a possibility that's under discussion.  It depends on what feedback we get.

Also, licensing is for development... for stand-alone applications built with Application Builder, there are no additional deployment or distribution fees.  We're not out to nickel-and-dime people who want to add plots to their compiled applications.

As far as the amounts, we want this to be widely used, so it won't be excessively priced, at least compared to some other products on the Tools Network.  For example, a single seat of NI's Database Connectivity Toolkit is over $1000, which I think is a bit nuts (although it's very useful!).  Hopefully we can make detailed information available in a few weeks.

Do you guys have any particular concerns about licensing or sales?  Now is the time to speak up! 🙂

Message 14 of 21
(2,161 Views)

Having no distribution fee is a big plus.  This helps offset a lot of what the toolkit might cost up front.

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 21
(2,151 Views)

I have LV2012 and went ahead and installed VIPM 2014 to see if I could install your beta.

heliosphere_research_llc_lib_advanced_plotting_toolkit-0.9.0.112.zip

Anyway, after 20 minutes of frustration I have to ask this

Did I miss a link to download it manually anywhere on your web site?

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 21
(2,005 Views)

@AKA_TG wrote:

I have LV2012 and went ahead and installed VIPM 2014 to see if I could install your beta.

heliosphere_research_llc_lib_advanced_plotting_toolkit-0.9.0.112.zip

Anyway, after 20 minutes of frustration I have to ask this

Did I miss a link to download it manually anywhere on your web site?

Thanks in advance

Sorry if this was confusing to people... there is a direct download link on this web page:

http://www.advancedplotting.com/download.html

The Toolkit is not on the LabVIEW Tools Network yet (we're working on it!), so you will have to download the .vip file from the above page and double-click to install.

Let us know if you have any other questions!  We are getting lots of great beta feedback and are already incorporating peoples' suggestions for the 1.0 release.

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 21
(1,996 Views)

I forgot to post here when I made the initial announcement... in case anyone is still following this thread, the Advanced Plotting Toolkit has been officially released!  More information is available at www.advancedplotting.com or on the LabVIEW Tools Network site.

We are launching with single-seat licenses at only $399.

Thanks again for all your feedback!

Message 18 of 21
(1,885 Views)

Good luck!

Any thoughts on when/what multi-seat options might be available?

Also (and apologies if this is covered elsewhere), how will it work with built executables?

---
CLA
0 Kudos
Message 19 of 21
(1,850 Views)

Thanks!

Multi-seat options will depend on customer feedback.  Did you have a particular preference?

The Toolkit works transparently with executables prepared with Application Builder; you don't need to do anything special and the plots should just work.  Here's an example; it's a demo program we're working on (warning: 136 MB!):

https://cdn-advancedplotting.s3.amazonaws.com/AdvPlotDemoInstall.exe

There are no royalties or distribution fees for executables which embed the Toolkit.

0 Kudos
Message 20 of 21
(1,828 Views)