From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Omron E5CN Drivers - Help!

Hello,

I have an Omron E5CN temperature controller and I am trying to use it with Labview without resulting to a commercial solution such as OPC server.

I can communicate with the controller via the Thermomini software (by Omron) but I cannot communicate via Labview.

I tried to use the Basic Serial Write & Read from the examples and also similar controller's drivers (E5EK) but I had no result.

Any suggestions on how to communicate with this controller?

Thank you in advance

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(4,181 Views)

Does this controller support MODBUS?  If so, use the MODBUS lib for LV.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(4,176 Views)

Hi,

I suggest using Max to talk directly to the controller to establish the communication.  You could use hyperterminal or some similar tool.

-------
Mark Ramsdale
-------
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(4,174 Views)

Hello,

MAX is able to validate and establish communication with the device and  I also tried the modbus drivers but I have no way of reading/writing data to the controller.

On top of everything  I dont know much about machine codes etc

Why isn't there a simple vi that can read & write data from the controller???

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(4,152 Views)

Ok, so you used MAX to verify the connection.  You had already accomplished this using the other software.  Your cabling is correct.  MODBUS lib contains what you need.  It even contains a couple of example vi's.

• Make sure the E5CN is configured for MODBUS communication.
  • Verify that you are using the same communication settings with the MODBUS library.  ASCII vs RTU, # data bits, # stop bits, parity, slave address.

You will need to learn a little bit about MODBUS and how it works. 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(4,143 Views)

I know the correct settings and I have read the modbus communication method from the Omron manual

I do not know how to implement it and I do not know how to even use the modbus drivers to even read the temperature from the controller

Isn't there a simple vi to add my settings and read/write to the controller at the location that I need?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(4,138 Views)

A simple search on ni.com yielded this .  I also suggest you read up on NI-VISA as well.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(4,131 Views)

@Wayne.C wrote:

Ok, so you used MAX to verify the connection.  You had already accomplished this using the other software.  Your cabling is correct.  MODBUS lib contains what you need.  It even contains a couple of example vi's.

• Make sure the E5CN is configured for MODBUS communication.
  • Verify that you are using the same communication settings with the MODBUS library.  ASCII vs RTU, # data bits, # stop bits, parity, slave address.

You will need to learn a little bit about MODBUS and how it works. 

A clarification is necessary. When you validate a serial port in MAX, you are not in any way, verifying that you can communicate to whatever is connected to that port. The validate will work if you have nothing connected. It only validates that you can control the pc's port.

AnoAno,

From your description, I don't know if your connection is serial or Ethernet. Either way, there is a master example in the drivers but they are designed to run with the slave examples and you would need to make some modifications. I have never used the Omron utility program. Do you have a link or information on that?

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(4,127 Views)

Hi every one,

I can connect and run E5CN tempt. controller to Labview through Modbus.

Attached files are  my  programming test for E5CN. 

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(2,490 Views)