LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Obsolete GPIB-USB-A problem again

Hi , all, sorry to bother you but I really do not know how to deal with this,

I have a obsolete GPIB-USB-A cable to connect with an instrument,

this morning I installed NI488.2 V2.2 on WinXP,  it works,  the instrument responds to my commands.

This afternoon I installed labview 2012, then the GPIB explorer is reporting error,

I can no more communicate with the instrument! 

I think there might be some newer versions automatically included in LV2012, which might not be suitable for the obsolete GPIB-USB-A,

so I re install NI488.2 V2.2, it is still reporting error.

I checked the VISA version is 3.0.1,

What is the problem? Is that VISA version not compatible with LV2012?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,286 Views)

Hi Julia2013,

Based on this chart: http://www.ni.com/white-paper/5326/en/, GPIB_USB_A is compatible with NI 488.2 Ver 2.2. However, based on this link: http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/2BFCEE471BECB95F862574020059117ENI 488.2 Ver 2.2 is compatible with LabVIEW 6.1, 7.0 and 7.1. Therefore, to begin with, I believe that the NI 488.2 Ver 2.2 is not compatible with LabVIEW 2012

Based on this link: http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/CF4279A34F855AB186257B1F00003B82, you'll notice that NI VISA 5.2, 5.3 and 5.4 are the only VISA versions that are compatible with LabVIEW 2012.

Therefore in summary, GPIB-USB-A is not compatible with LabVIEW 2012. Based on the first link I have mentioned, GPIB-USB-B and GPIB-USB-HS

uses NI 488.2 Ver. 3.1.1 which is compatible with the LabVIEW 2012 and thus is compatible with the VISA ver 5.2, 5.3 and 5.4.

Hope it answers your enquiry.

Warmest regards,

Lennard.C

Learning new things everyday...
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,177 Views)

NI obsoleteing these makes me angry as we have a few USB-A interfaces around.

NI VISA may not support them but Agilent VISA does and they work fine with Agilent instruments and software.

It seems NI just does not want them to be compatible forcing us to drop another $500+ each to replace them.

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
Message 3 of 6
(2,169 Views)

@RTSLVU wrote:

NI VISA may not support them but Agilent VISA does and they work fine with Agilent instruments and software.

It seems NI just does not want them to be compatible forcing us to drop another $500+ each to replace them.

This is good to know.

There was another thread recently about NI not supporting another of their hardware with drivers. It was their PCMCIA GPIB card.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,162 Views)

@RTSLVU wrote:

The other choice, of course, is to stay with a downlevel dev environment.  Not a particularly pleasant option, either...

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,156 Views)

Hi nyc,

Actually, the reason why, I believe, PCMCIA GPIB was not supported is due to the fact that most newer gen computers does not have the slot for the PCMCIA GPIB card. You can still use PCMCIA GPIB card with the 3rd party adapter but the adapter is compatible with Win XP 

I'm not familiar with Agilent stuff but there might be some reasons for the latest NI VISA could not support the GPIB-USB-HS (other than profitable reasons as you have mentioned) just like the PCMCIA GPIB card.

Warmest regards,

Lennard.C

Learning new things everyday...
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,126 Views)