LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Object Dimentions measured by a camera

hey, I am working on a program that uses a usb camera to output the dimensions of the object its reading... for example if we put a box having a width of 5cm and lenght of 6 cm the program outputs for me these dimensions...is it possible to do this through the webcam.. I am searching for the right palletes to do that.. can anyone help me plz?

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,168 Views)

Hi Abook7

You cannot perform this kind of measurement without knowing additional variables ie. depth or having a calibration pattern. Another way you can do it is using two cameras in steroscopy. What idea did you have to do this? If only one camera, with no information on depth, it is not possible. 

Piotr

Piotr Kruczkowski
Certified TestStand Architect
Certified LabVIEW Architect
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,143 Views)

hey, I have the depth information about the object...I got a potentiometer to measure the depth for me, but i still have the length and width to find and i hopefully can use the camera to find it..any idea concerning that?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,131 Views)

An idea will be to use another object as reference. If you have a reference object that you know exactly the dimensions, using edge detection you can measure it's dimensions and after that comparing with a simpel algoritm you can find the dimensions of the objects you are looking for.

Kind regrads,

Ion R.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,108 Views)