From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OPC Connection lost: Unspecified error

Hi

Im using Labview stand alone program with shared libaries, citadel database and OPC server (National Instrument.OPCFieldPoint). I have also installed the DSC Runtime software which is required for these programs. The system has seemed to work stable, but after the last compilation, the program lost connection with the OPC server and fails to communicater with the field point. I get the following error message: OPC Connection lost: Unspecified error. This is the second time this happen, first time it was resolved the next day without my understanding (perhaps a restart?), this time the error is still there. Can anybody explain me the reason for the error. I have included a picture from the distributed system manager showing the error message and that the OPC is not connected.

Sincerely, Ivar

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,926 Views)

Hi Ivar,

I am Collin de Wit, an Applications engineer at National instruments. Do you know if something has changed to the system before the last compilation? When was the last time it was working and has anything changed after that?

Which software and which versions are you using?

Do you have any back-up of the software from when it was working? From before the last compilation?

Could you try the labview OPC example and see if that works? You can find it by going to help >> find examples >> search >> OPC >> OPC UA demo.lvproj This would be great to see if this does work.

How are you reading these variables in your code? How many variables are you trying to read? Are you using any front panel objects in your application?

Please let me know these results to understand good how to continue with the troubleshooting.

Best regards,

Collin de Wit

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,859 Views)

Hi,

First of all. The system was back on track after a restart of the server.

However, we aim for this server to have high availabillity and want to avoid restarts as much as possible. My theory is that it has something to do with the Ni Distributed System Manager that I think was opened before the fatal compilation and restart. How does that sound? There should also be possible to stop some critical prosesses rather than restart the server,  can you help me there?

I will check out your advice later and come back with the results in this forum.

Ivar

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,845 Views)

Hi Ivar,

To be able to know better what is happening it would be great if you could explain more about the system setup and its purpose. At this point it is not that clear to me why the NI DSM was opened, do you need to check some variables? Was the NI DSM opened on the server or on a local PC connected to the server?

It would be great if you could explain the hard- and software setup so I know where we could start to troubleshoot. 

Hope to hear from you.

Best regards,

Collin de Wit

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,777 Views)