From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OCR Hiccup

Vision OCR Training is unable to recognise the decimal point of an LED seven segment meter inspite of training the software. The software thinks the number before the decimal point and the decimal point is one number. Is there any way to tell the software that they are two separate characters?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,034 Views)

I encountered similar problems. The problems stems from the fact that your numbers are tilted. The OCR tries to put a rectangular box around the character but due to the tilt of the numbers it means that the decimal dot is partly in the box of the "1" and it is recognised as one.

Try to train the "1" and the "1." separately as one chacter each and train the "1." with the string "1." ... it's a bit more work but should hopefully work

Best Regards

Mathis

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,004 Views)

Thanks for the input. I tried slightly rotating the image and it did recognise the decimal point. This worked fine when only "1." was selected. But it read "1." as one character when the entire line was selected 😕 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,985 Views)

The rotating won't help much as even if it doesn't look to you that the two rectangles are interfering anymore, you actually need a clear space between characters to be recognised as separate.

Rather than trying to force the OCR to recognise "1" and "." separately, try to train it to recognise "1" and "1.".

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,965 Views)

I did try that but the characters are too close to each other. Probably cant use OCR for this meter. 
Thanks anyway

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,934 Views)