LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Numeric Control Coercing Strangely

Hi Guys,

I have lately noticed a strange behaviour with the LV numeric controls. Below is what I tried.

1. Created a Double precision Numeric Control
  2. Set the Limits to Min:62.5 (Coerce if exeeds limit), Max:5000 (Coerce if exeeds limit), Icrement:0 (Ignore)
  3. Changed the Display format to Advanced SI notation (Format String: %#_3p Hz)

Test Case

1. I enter a value 100 into the control. (I see 100 Hz displayed)
  2. I then select the entered value and enter 100 again. (I see 62.5 Hz displayed)

When I'm entering the same value twice, its coecing to the minimum limit. Is this a normal behaviour? (Which I dont think it is:))

Has anyone noticed this before? Is it a bug in labVIEW or I'm doing something wrong. Please share your views. I haved attached the sample control I'm working on here for you guys to check it.

reagards,
NitzZ

(Give kudos to good Answers, Mark it as a solution if your problem is Solved:smileywink:

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,362 Views)

Is it correct that you are using LV 2010?

Using LV 2013f2, i cannot reproduce the issue, even when using your VI.

Please note that i always make sure to mark the previous value by mouse before starting to enter a new value. Obviously, it doesn' matter if i mark "100" or "100 " or "100 Hz" (so any combination of characters as long as the complete number, in your case '100', is marked before typing). In all cases, the value is correctly 100 after pressing the enter key (i configured LV to acknowledge by <Enter> instead of CTRL+<Enter>).

Can you test with other LV versions?

Did i enter the value differently than you (so no marking of the previous value)?

Norbert

Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CEO: What exactly is stopping us from doing this?
Expert: Geometry
Marketing Manager: Just ignore it.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,358 Views)

Hey Nobert, 

You have entered the values correctly. Actually it doesn't matter (as you told). How ever I enter, the behaviour is visible. I have tested it in LV8.6, LV2009 and LV2010. I don't have the later versions on this PC installed. I would be happy to get a fix for this in the LV2010 version.:)

regards,
NitzZ

(Give kudos to good Answers, Mark it as a solution if your problem is Solved:smileywink:

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,351 Views)

As i don't have any other LV version installed on my machine, i currently cannor check out older versions.

Question: Does this behavior occur for any type of numeric control (e.g. modern, system, ...)?

Norbert

Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CEO: What exactly is stopping us from doing this?
Expert: Geometry
Marketing Manager: Just ignore it.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,345 Views)

Hi Nitz,

in LV2011 I can enter values without problems: marking just the number (or the full text) and typing the new value.

Each value is accepted (within the limits of 62.5 and 5k)…

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,337 Views)

@NitzZ wrote:

Hey Nobert, 

You have entered the values correctly. Actually it doesn't matter (as you told). How ever I enter, the behaviour is visible. I have tested it in LV8.6, LV2009 and LV2010. I don't have the later versions on this PC installed. I would be happy to get a fix for this in the LV2010 version.:)

regards,
NitzZ

I have LV2009 on an old VM, so I launched it, created your control as described and can verify the odd behaviour

It appears that if you enter the same value that exists in the numeric control, it will be reduced to the minimum value allowed. Enter any other value, anything other than that currently in the control, and it is dealt with as expected. I tried this with 100, 5k, 234, and all exhibited the same odd behaviour.

I also have LV2011 on another VM, so I launched that, created your control and saw no issues, so it appears to have been fixed at some point.

Interesting point: If you remove the custom string (Hz) from the format specifier, the issue does not occur, so it appears there are issues parsing the custom content.

Thoric (CLA, CLED, CTD and LabVIEW Champion)

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,320 Views)