LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Notifier

How to send a notifier command from one standalone vi to another standalone vi that has the wait on notification?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12
(3,315 Views)

1. They all have to be currently running.

2. They all have to have the reference to the same Notifier.

What I like to do is have an Action Engine that holds the reference and then whoever needs to listen for the notification can get the reference.  I typically have a Send command in the Action Engine for the process that needs to send the notification.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 2 of 12
(3,298 Views)

Crossrulz has one valid solution.  

Alternately, when you use the "obtain notifier" VI in two parallel VIs, as long as you're not using an unnamed VI and the same exact data type, you'll get the same reference from each.  

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 12
(3,237 Views)

Thank you Kudo.

Do you have an example vi I could reference how you did this?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 12
(3,224 Views)

Sorry, the question was addressed to Crossrulz.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 12
(3,223 Views)

Kyle97330,

Your suggestion works when building the vi, but once I compile it to an .exe file, it doesn't work anymore. Not sure if I did it correctly.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 12
(3,222 Views)

VI's running within the LabVIEW development environment exist in the same application space and can share data like notifiers.  If you go and make two different executables out of those two VI's, they now exist in different application spaces.  You can share data through notifiers like that.  You'll want a different mechanism for sharing data like TCP/IP or UDP, network shared variables, or a relatively new addition to LabVIEW called network streams.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 12
(3,215 Views)

@RavensFan wrote:

You can't share data through notifiers like that.

I think RavensFan meant to say

Omar
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 12
(3,144 Views)

Dohhh!.  You are right.  You can't share notifier notifiers through different application spaces.  I was thinking one way and typed the other.

Thanks Omar.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 12
(3,138 Views)

?

Have you considered wrapping the notifier action in an Action Engine that is served via VI Server?

While I have not done it with notifiers I have exposed queues on one machine to another by wrapping the Queue operations in a AE that was served. Aside from a bug in LV 6i-RT tht would kill the queue if the connection was closed, that type of operation has been around for a long time and works well.

Ben

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 12
(3,135 Views)