cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No device response and timeout error

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi Guys,

I am quite desperate because I am trying to control a syringue pump but this does not respond and gets the timeout expired before operation completed.

1) I have checked that baud rate, bits, parity... are as the device manual says.

2) The simplest command is /1ZR (to initiate the pump) and as a termination character it requires a carriage return.

3) The cable and the pump work as I have no problems to control it with a simple software made by Cavro (not in labview)

As this Threat suggest ( https://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/Changing-termination-character-doesn-t-seem-to-work/m-p/1898261#M63... ) it could be a termination character problem, I tried to do the same but nothing. What I've done so far:

- I  have enabled termination character and change A by D in front panel. I wrote /1ZR as a command (visa serial configure serial port icon)

- I have directly written /1ZR\r in the write buffer and selecting ( "\" display)

- I have also tried the last choice with adding a line feed at the end /1ZR\r\n

In all these cases I get a timeout expired before operation completed. Anyone has an idea of what is going on?

I've attached a photo to clarify.

Thank you very much in advance

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,873 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author rodriferfe

The problem may be with your string /1Z\r. If you change the string constant display to code display (by right clicking on it) you get the following string /1ZR\\r which is not recognize by the hardware so you get a timeout on VISA Read.

Change to code display and write the appropriate command or use the concatenate string function.

concatenate string.png

Ben64

Message 2 of 6
(3,854 Views)

Hi Ben,

About an hour ago it ocurred to me to make a control in enable termination character, then I turned it off and it worked!!!! you are totally right I was sending double \ it the pump couldn't recognise it.

By the way what I haven't solved is the timeout error, I mean the pump performs the operation I want but after that the timeout expirered.... error comes up, any clue?

Thanks a lot

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,849 Views)

@rodriferfe wrote:

Hi Ben,

About an hour ago it ocurred to me to make a control in enable termination character, then I turned it off and it worked!!!! you are totally right I was sending double \ it the pump couldn't recognise it.

By the way what I haven't solved is the timeout error, I mean the pump performs the operation I want but after that the timeout expirered.... error comes up, any clue?

Thanks a lot

Are you expecting a response from the harware? If the hardware doesn't respond the VISA Read function will time out. If you turned off the termination character then VISA Read will wait until it receive 1000 bytes or until it timed out.

Ben64

Message 4 of 6
(3,843 Views)

Yes, that was the problem, sorry for my lack of knowledge, I am new with labview. You've been very helpfull, thank you very much

Message 5 of 6
(3,839 Views)

Actually, dang, you solved it very quickly compared to many other newbies with similar problems.  Congrats are in order!

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,825 Views)