LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newport controller ESP300: Time out error

Thanks Emilie and Jeane,

I think that my code is working after enabling auto error handler.

Thanks for your help,
Dushyant
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 36
(5,138 Views)
Hello,

I had the same time out error problem and discovered that it only happend when you send a GPIB command to the ESP300 while the listener and talker status bytes do not have the correct values. To solve the problem, I modified the GPIB library provided by Newport. I notably modified ESP Send and ESP Read so that they check the ESP300 status bytes before executing. This is easily performed with the GPIB status function (see my attached version of ESP Read for an example). With the changes here mentioned, I recently wrote a labview 7.1 interface for the ESP300 that works very well. I am afraid it is to big to be posted here, but you can download it from here. It contains a newly rewritten GPIB library that works fine.

I hope this may help someone.

Jean

Message Edited by jberney on 11-05-2005 06:14 AM

Message 12 of 36
(4,807 Views)

does anyone have modified GPIB library for ESP300 written in LabVIEW 7.0?

Thanks

Mirna

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 36
(4,598 Views)

Hey Jean, 

The link to your program appears to be broken. Can you fix it?

Thanks,

-Shrey 

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 36
(3,284 Views)

That link worked fine for me.  Try again.  If you still have problems, then tell us in more detail what you think is broken about it.

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 36
(3,270 Views)

I have written my own library based on VISA to communicate with the ESP-300. I had intially a lot of timeout errors with it until I got a technician from Newport to actually come by and help debug this. Turned out we had to disable auto serial poll in the settings for the GPIB controller in MAX to make it work with VISA.

Still I'm not impressed with that controller as it has many strange things going on.

Message Edited by rolfk on 05-01-2010 05:14 PM
Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 16 of 36
(3,248 Views)

I am actually looking for the LabVIEW 7.1 Interface that Jean prepared but could not upload it on the thread because of its size. Thanks.

-Shrey 

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 36
(3,162 Views)

I am basically facing a problem to interface 2 stages x and y with the ESP motion controller. Right now, I start with a position array that has x and y values and tell stage to go to those points. It does well for first 200-300 points, sometimes even 400 points but then just stops. Using NI-SPY I realized that the code stops giving the next point and keeps giving the same position x and y co-ordinates where it has stopped. Probably, I am having too much overheads on the poor GPIB as I am reading and writing on x and y stage simultaneously. I do not know! 

Also, I was wondering if the solution is to use group commands. I have been trying to use them in a separate program but I am not able to move one stage when I use both in group. One stage works well, other one just does not move and gives out communication time out error.

Any help would be appreciated.

-Shrey 

0 Kudos
Message 18 of 36
(3,161 Views)
If you do see the same position going over GPIB over and over again, you most likely have a programming error in LabVIEW itself. It is highly unlikely, that you tell in LabVIEW to go to position x.y and that the GPIB library sends out z.v instead and that z.v happens to be an older value you have sent at some point. So debug your LabVIEW program and see why it does send out the same position over and over again, when you think it should send out different positions.
Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 19 of 36
(3,142 Views)

@jberney wrote:
... With the changes here mentioned, I recently wrote a labview 7.1 interface for the ESP300 that works very well. I am afraid it is to big to be posted here, but you can download it from here. It contains a newly rewritten GPIB library that works fine...

Hi Jean,
I am confident that your llb will solve my problems and make my life a lot easier Smiley Happy. I tried to follow your link however, but it says that the page doesn't exist... Can you update the link?
Thank you very much!
Giovanni

Giovanni Vleminckx
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Using LabVIEW 8.5 on Windows7
0 Kudos
Message 20 of 36
(2,505 Views)