From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to Labview and struggling

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello, 

I am sorry if I will come off as ignorant or just plain dumb because of this easy problem. I just started using Labview last week and I don't get the grasp of it yet. I started with simple applications and I wanted to build a temperature converter from K to C and F, and F to C and K, C to K and F, but I cannot seem to find a way to connect two wires to one thermometer (by doing two different arithmetical operations), maybe I need to go deep down into programming, but I am not sure. If any of you could help me and give me a little push so I can get this done, I'd be very grateful to you.

I made the basic conversion from F to C from one of the NI tutorials.

Hope my explanation wasn't too difficult to understand. Also, I am using LabView 2015.

Thank you a lot in advance and have a nice day!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,743 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author notanengineeryet

@notanengineeryet wrote:
but I cannot seem to find a way to connect two wires to one thermometer (by doing two different arithmetical operations)

So you want two sources to go into a single indicator?  That you cannot do.  Only one node can be a source on a wire.  So the better question would be why do you need multiple sources?  Which source should be displayed when?  It could be a simple adding of a Select? function with a button or an enum controlling a case structure whose output is wired to the indicator.

And since you are new...

3 Hour Introduction
6 Hour Introduction
LabVEW Basics
Self Paced training for students
Self Paced training beginner to advanced, SSP Required
LabVIEW Wiki on Training
Learning NI
Getting Started with NI Products

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,733 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author notanengineeryet

Hi yet,

which "thermometer" do you want to use twice?

General rule: LabVIEW follows the main mantra of THINK DATAFLOW!. Each data sink (=indicator/local variable) can only have one data source (wire!) connected.

Additional suggestions:

- For each thermometer control/indicator you can show a "digital display" with just a right-click. This way you can reduce your block diagram size quite a lot.

- Using AutoCleanup (Ctrl-U) from time to time would be nice too!

- Placing related controls and indicators on the frontpanel next to each other helps to understand your VI too…

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
Message 3 of 6
(2,731 Views)

Thank you a lot for taking time and replying to my problem. And sorry for the late reply. I just wanted to see if I could do the conversion two way for each of the measurement units, it is not a mandatory thing, so I won't be digging into it too much ... it was just a fun task I tried to do, but I will not go further into it. 

Also, lots of thanks for the links, will access each one of them!

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,644 Views)

Hi there, thank you for replying to my post.

I wanted to use each of the thermometers two times, but I see that it is not possible, so I won't be getting too into it because I just wanted to try some things and see how they work in labview, but this is not the field I need to learn how to work with labview.

Also, lots of thanks for your suggestions!

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,640 Views)

You need to read about and learn to use the case structure and Enumerated Type.Def. (Enum)

For this program I would envision an Enum to select the "input units" and another one to select the "output units".

Then use these two selections to drive a case that selects the proper formula to make the conversion.

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,618 Views)